Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times

Advertisements

What do you find yourself using a lot? (or never)

I am looking at a bunch of sets online and hate that there are ones with rinkadink 3 oz tubs etc. I don't even know the last time I put away 3oz of something..lol

Anyway...any favorite sets, sizes? Suggestions?

I was using the zip locks but I want something more substantial/lasting that does not scar when hot foods hit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Those sets rip you off by doing that. "48 pieces" it will say in big letters then you get home and some of them are the size of shot glasses, in case you wish to save a marshmallow or something in one.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,317 times
We have some call Lock&Lock, they snap and lock, they are cheap and work great.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
We have some call Lock&Lock, they snap and lock, they are cheap and work great.
Came to this thread to say the same thing... my mom sent me a decent sized mixed set of these things one Christmas and I've been using them almost exclusively since. They are heavy duty with thick lids that lock into place. The lids have a gasket in a track around the edge that gives a good seal. The gasket comes right out for cleaning too. It is a thick band of some type of silicon and as much as I use them not one of them has broken or cracked or gotten funky on me. Still in great condition.

I've actually been meaning to get more of them. I have plenty of the small to medium size ones for now but would like some bigger ones. I use them for everything (veggies, meats, leftovers, butter, etc) now as not only do they seal good but they make everything easier to get to since you can stack them.

Here is an idea of what they have available...
Amazon.com: Lock & Lock - Home & Garden

Damn rereading that I sound like an ad, lol.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
We have all the types mentioned and more and all are a real pain to deal with. Storage that is!!

Food storage

Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
I have two sets of 4 "nesting" containers I got from target or somewhere and have used forever for storing those dry products I buy in larger sizes, like sugar, flour, rice etc.

For everything else I like the snap lock containers which I buy in individual sizes - They're rectangular so easier to store in the freezer/fridge/shelf and I've been very happy with them for storing left over stews etc.

If you look at those "48 pce" sets the lids are included in that count, which to me is a bit of a ripoff.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,884 times
I use the 3oz ones if I'm taking salad dressing or something with me for lunch. I havent found any I especially like and since I'm always losing the lids ( kind of like socks? they must disappear in the dishwasher) .. I just buy the glad ones.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,272 times
I have a preference for glass; so, I am still using pyrex. I also have a few Corning-ware pieces. There is a company that makes snap and lock glassware.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times
glass is the way to go.......doesn't stain, can be microwaved, and will last forever plus doesn't warp in the dishwasher

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
( kind of like socks? they must disappear in the dishwasher) ..
Socks in the dishwasher? Is that the new secret spice? [kidding]

I have a set of what I think was called "click clacks" or something like that. Great for flour, sugar, nuts and stuff. Great to keep the bugs and mice out (we live in the country, no other way to avoid it)

For daily stuff, I like the glad-type ones too. Like Jasmine, I also loose the tops, so it just makes sense.

Also, this may sound odd, but if you get Chinese Take Out around here, they now come in really good, re-useable plastic containers. We used to get the paper box with a wire on it, but now they have good containers. They all stack neatly and are easy to store, so we don't even loose the lids. Those might be the best of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink