Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times

Advertisements

Love my rice cooker and I love rice of all types.

My rice cooker also has a container for steaming veggies.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,803 times
Rice cookers are a great investment, I have one and its great. You dont necesarily need an expensive one. I have one and its probably about $30 its a Rival rice cooker and it steams veggies too! If your a rice eater it wont just be sitting in your kitchen collecting dust. A tip is to put a little oil in with your rice and water so the rice doesnt stick to the pot once it absorbs the water. Also for brown rice you will need twice the amount of water, it takes brown rice longer to cook than white rice.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
I make rice 1-3 times a week, and like several different types. My rice cooker is an Oster and I've had it for 10+ years; it still works perfectly but the ceramic (or whatever...) lid has chipped a bit at the hinge. It's similar to the other brands described and has a non-stick removable cooker part which has only a knick or two, even after ten years of use. So I'm really sold on this brand; don't know why I'd try any other type.

And yeah; I wouldn't have much success at stovetop cooking of rice

Some types of rice will get brown on the bottom, others do not. I'm told the Chinese sometimes purposely brown the rice on the bottom and use only the part not browned for the main dish. Then they scrape out the browned part, sprinkle sugar and drizzle a little cream over it for a little sweetness at the end of the meal.

In my cooker the rice has only ever become slightly browned which wasn't an issue for me.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Default Could a crockpot replace my rice cooker? And what about oatmeal?

Hiya!

Soooooo, every couple of months I think about getting a crockpot... and then I don't... or I forget.

But I think it would be so nice to be able to assemble the evening's dinner in the morning (when I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed), rather than at the end of a long day (when all I want to do is eat and then climb into bed). Also, timing dinner for when my husband will be home is not my strongest skill.

So, yeah, once again, a crockpot is on my mind.

But here are a few questions for which I couldn't find definitive answers via Google:

1. I have a lot of counter space but I don't like a lot of clutter. And if I get this crockpot, I don't want to put it in a cabinet when I'm not using it because that guarantees that I'll never use it. We currently have a rice cooker that's always on the counter. Can we use the crockpot to make rice (JUST rice; ONLY rice; not a crockpot recipe that INCLUDES rice) and get rid of my rice cooker?

2. What about oatmeal? My husband likes steel-cut oatmeal. Sometimes he makes it in the rice cooker. Sometimes he makes it on the stove top. Would he be able to make it in the crockpot? Would it take an obscene amount of time, or would it be the same time as it takes in a rice cooker?

Thanks for your help, advice, and knowledge. (I might soon be poking you for good crockpot recipes.)

Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
After decades of admiring those clean clutter free counters some people have, I finally asked. How do you keep it so clear? The answer is that stuff used every day can stay on the counter. Everything else gets put away and taken out as needed. So now I have the coffee maker and the toaster out. Oh, and the olive oil dispenser.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
After decades of admiring those clean clutter free counters some people have, I finally asked. How do you keep it so clear? The answer is that stuff used every day can stay on the counter. Everything else gets put away and taken out as needed. So now I have the coffee maker and the toaster out. Oh, and the olive oil dispenser.
After I redid the kitchen, I vowed that I wouldn't clutter the NEW! BEAUTIFUL! SILESTONE! countertop with "equipment." I have some equipment on the counter -- the rice cooker, coffee grinder, espresso maker, French press, toaster oven, clay pot filled with spatulas and whisks and the like -- and I also have decorative stuff on the counter. But another BIG! MACHINE! will just about kill me.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
After I redid the kitchen, I vowed that I wouldn't clutter the NEW! BEAUTIFUL! SILESTONE! countertop with "equipment." I have some equipment on the counter -- the rice cooker, coffee grinder, espresso maker, French press, toaster oven, clay pot filled with spatulas and whisks and the like -- and I also have decorative stuff on the counter. But another BIG! MACHINE! will just about kill me.

Hehe. Maybe a few more feet of counter space. You just can't do rice in a crock pot. Or oatmeal. Unless you are moving at glacial speeds. Sorry.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
Fagor makes a combo rice cooker, crock pot, and pressure cooker.

Crock pot rice would take 2+ hours

Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
That's my hangup about getting a breadmaker. Ours died years ago and I'd like to get another, but I already have a food processor and a giant Kitchenaid mixer on the counter. I don't have enough cupboard space to stash all the appliances I'd like.

As for your question, you can make oatmeal in the crock pot, but steel cut oats will probably take all night. I don't think the crocks get hot enough for quick cooking.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Hehe. Maybe a few more feet of counter space. You just can't do rice in a crock pot. Or oatmeal. Unless you are moving at glacial speeds. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Fagor makes a combo rice cooker, crock pot, and pressure cooker.

Crock pot rice would take 2+ hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's my hangup about getting a breadmaker. Ours died years ago and I'd like to get another, but I already have a food processor and a giant Kitchenaid mixer on the counter. I don't have enough cupboard space to stash all the appliances I'd like.

As for your question, you can make oatmeal in the crock pot, but steel cut oats will probably take all night. I don't think the crocks get hot enough for quick cooking.
That was exactly my fear -- that rice and oatmeal were both going to be "no go" in a crockpot.

So, I've come to the realization that a crockpot would NOT replace my rice cooker. Fine.

And I've come to the realization that either the crockpot will be on the countertop (GRRRR) or that I'd store it below board and have to remember that I have the darn thing. Fine.

So, now I pose this question:

Will I actually USE this crockpot (regardless of where it's located)? Of course you can't answer this. So here's the question that my husband posed to me, which I couldn't answer:

Does everything you make in a crockpot come out like some version of a STEW?

Apparently that had no appeal to him -- that EVERYTHING would be a kind of stew. Is that the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink