Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:35 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times

Advertisements

Every brand of plain yogurt that I have ever seen sold in any kind of store in the US has sugar-laden fruit added, added processed sugar or artificial sweetners.

Recently a major yogurt producer promoted yogurts with zero sweetners and no sugar, but all I have seen are fruit flavored, so sugar, and in significant quantity. So they are kidding.

In my experience, the Fage brand, plain flavor, has the least amount of sugar, around 3-5 grams per serving, but still noticeable, and I believe it is not really Greek, like most so-called Greek-style yogurts, but made in the US, and the difference is palatable.

I have even tried Whole Foods and local so-called Greek/Middle Eastern stores, but to no avail. Even Kefir sold in every kind of store I have seen contains sugar in what to me are intrusive amounts, sometimes even in what I consider obscene amounts.

Has any one seen or heard of completely sugarless, plain, naturally sour yogurt available for purchase in the US? If so, where?

If not, any guide on how to make it myself?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 AM

34 posts, read 105,401 times
I find this brand to be quite tart. They sell it at whole foods. It's not cheap,but sometimes it's in sale for $1. I have never been brave enough to try the plain because the flavored ones are so tart.

siggi

Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You can make it yourself.

Yogurt is going to have some sugar because it's made out of milk, which has some sugar in it. You can't make yogurt that has no sugar at all. When you make your own, you won't know exactly how much of the sugar in the milk is still present after the yogurt is cultured. If you strain the yogurt (to make Greek yogurt) more of the sugar is removed, but again, you don't know how much.

Anyhow, to make your own yogurt, start with a gallon of milk. Heat to 180, cool to 115. Stir in 1/2 cup plain store-bought yogurt. (You can add 4 cups of powdered milk too if you want a thicker yogurt with more protein). Pour into jars, place in oven with the oven light on but the oven turned off. Leave it in the oven for 8 to 12 hours, then cool and refrigerate. You can strain the yogurt at that point if you want to...line a strainer with a couple layers of cheesecloth, put it over a bowl, and put the yogurt in the strainer. Put it in the fridge overnight and you'll have unsweetened Greek yogurt...which will still contain some naturally occurring sugar.

Those yogurts with zero sweeteners and no added sugar had zero artificial sweeteners and no added sugar, so they had the sugar that occurs naturally in the milk and the small amount of sugar from the fruit. They were sweetened with stevia. I think there were 8 or 10 carbs in one serving, don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't significantly lower than the 80 calorie fruit-on-the-bottom Greek yogurts that I usually buy when I'm too lazy to make my own yogurt.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:38 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Thank you both for your answers.

I see that Siggi's plain yogurt has 4 grams of sugar, so about the same as Fage.

I'll try to make my own, as Hedgehog Mom suggests.

In Greece, there is a store-bought brand called Dodoni, that's the taste I am looking for, not available in the US but even if it were produced here, they would probably add sweetners of some kind, natural or not, in accordance with national taste preferences (or perhaps social training?).

I remember once in a small village some people coming around selling fresh yogurt, and accompanying them was the actual cow from which they had made it.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
There are theories that the yogurt cultures destroy nearly all of the lactose (since that's what they eat) and so carb counts are lower than indicated on the label. I don't know if/how much that's been tested.

When you make your own yogurt, longer times will make more "sour" yogurt. A commercial level tartness, in my experience, is about six hours. Eight to twelve hours will be much more tart. I used to strain mine in a cotton bag when I made my own Greek yogurt or yogurt cheese. I hung it in the tub.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Plain Chobani doesn't have added sugar. Its available in low fat or regular, and has 4 gr of sugar.

Last edited by gentlearts; 02-06-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Nancy's, Fred Meyer. Seeing sugar on the nutrition label does not always mean added sugar, often it is lactose, which is a sugar that is accounted for on the label. Reading the ingredients will indicate whether there is added sugar or naturally occurring sugar, such as lactose content.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any food that does not have a naturally present amount of some type of sugar present at some level in its natural unprocessed state. Even raw broccoli has sugar.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Every brand of plain yogurt that I have ever seen sold in any kind of store in the US has sugar-laden fruit added, added processed sugar or artificial sweetners.

Recently a major yogurt producer promoted yogurts with zero sweetners and no sugar, but all I have seen are fruit flavored, so sugar, and in significant quantity. So they are kidding.

In my experience, the Fage brand, plain flavor, has the least amount of sugar, around 3-5 grams per serving, but still noticeable, and I believe it is not really Greek, like most so-called Greek-style yogurts, but made in the US, and the difference is palatable.

I have even tried Whole Foods and local so-called Greek/Middle Eastern stores, but to no avail. Even Kefir sold in every kind of store I have seen contains sugar in what to me are intrusive amounts, sometimes even in what I consider obscene amounts.

Has any one seen or heard of completely sugarless, plain, naturally sour yogurt available for purchase in the US? If so, where?

If not, any guide on how to make it myself?

Thank you.
Um, in every supermarket? I regularly buy three different brands, all with only milk and cultures in them. Maybe you should not buy a tub of yoghurt called "Strawberry Banana Vanilla delight" with a picture of a strawberry on the front if you're looking for plain yoghurt? Look at the front, it should say "Plain" (not vanilla, vanilla is a flavour). Then look at the ingredients. Low fat yoghurts often have stabilisers, but I've not ever in the US seen a plain yoghurt with sugar added. If they were adding sugar and not declaring it on the label they would be in so much trouble with the FDA you can't even imagine. Brands include Stoneyfield, Fage, Organic Valley.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
If you read the INGREDIENT list of many plain yogurts, you will see "cultured grade A milk" and "live cultures". Maybe some pectin, depending on the brand. If you read the NUTRITION label, you will see sugar listed. That sugar is naturally occurring lactose, which is present in all milk.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
It's not at all hard to find plain yogurt, if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink