Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My boyfriend are a little like that. We say we're Jack Sprat and Mrs. Sprat from the nursery rhyme.

We both get soup in a restaurant. I slurp up all my broth and leave the "guts" in the bowl. He strains off and eats all the guts and leaves the broth. Then without saying anything, we switch bowls.
Can't rep you again, Tracy, but you and your boyfriend sound like my kind of people.

Staying on topic:

OVERRATED: Sushi, tiny fancy cupcakes, roast turkey, flavored vodkas, asparagus, kiwi fruit, beaujolais, steel cut oatmeal
UNDERRATED: casseroles, baked beans with brown bread (and beans in general), parsnips, peanut butter, grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, meat loaf, bananas, Cheerios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Cottage cheese isn't good unless you add a lot of fruit jam, especially strawberry.

Ricotta isn't good unless it's in a lasagna.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm so TracySam's food opposite.

I love ricotta.
Me too, how can you make real Lasagna without using Ricotta. Please don't say cottage cheese. There are other things it is good in, but that in number one. Anyone who knows good Italian food would always use ricotta.

Nita

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I love softer cheeses...ricotta,cottage cheese, mascarpone, crumbly ones like feta and gorgonzola...yum!

I totally agree that casseroles are underrated. My SO will not TOUCH a casserole, even if he likes all the ingredients, because he is of the "I don't like food mixed together/touching" persuasion. So OCD.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Overrated:

BBQ
Mac n cheese
Most pizza
Chicken wings

Underrated:

Good salmon (not farmed)
Oxtails
Lentils

Just a few that come to mind

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Thanks, Nita! That's my lasagna of choice also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love softer cheeses...ricotta,cottage cheese, mascarpone, crumbly ones like feta and gorgonzola...yum!

I totally agree that casseroles are underrated. My SO will not TOUCH a casserole, even if he likes all the ingredients, because he is of the "I don't like food mixed together/touching" persuasion. So OCD.
Casseroles are not my fave, but there are definitely some great ones.

I can... MAYBE... get DH to touch one if I call it a "bake."

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Overrated:

BBQ
Mac n cheese
Most pizza
Chicken wings

Underrated:

Good salmon (not farmed)
Oxtails
Lentils

Just a few that come to mind
Oh, oxtail soup is very good. If you don't want to take the time to make it from scratch, there's an excellent powdered mix - Knorr's.

It's one of those foods that many men like, but most women don't.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Wow, I wouldn't have thought of oxtail soup as either underrated or overrated...but maybe not "rated" at all. People really eat that? Although I've heard of it from TV and movies, I've never seen it in my life. Never saw an actual ox either for that matter

Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I wouldn't have thought of oxtail soup as either underrated or overrated...but maybe not "rated" at all. People really eat that? Although I've heard of it from TV and movies, I've never seen it in my life. Never saw an actual ox either for that matter
Yes, people really eat oxtails! I'm old enough to remember when they were dirt cheap...considered "poor people" food. These days they can be quite expensive, probably because they have been "discovered" by younger generations.

Oxtails have a lot of fat, and because of the extra fat, gelatin, and so on, they produce an incredibly rich stock or stew and the meat, when stewed, or braised has a better texture than most beef.

One of my favorite winter dishes is oxtails braised in a slow oven with a good red wine, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic and various herbs.

Served with mashed potatoes or pureed celeriac and a loaf of crusty bread it is pure bliss!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, oxtail soup is very good. If you don't want to take the time to make it from scratch, there's an excellent powdered mix - Knorr's.

It's one of those foods that many men like, but most women don't.
Knorr's oxtail soup mix can be good in a pinch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink