Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM

69 posts, read 85,589 times

Advertisements

Overrated dishes:

Kimchi: I don't like the smell of it and it is too spicy for me.

Korean barbecue: Just average, I don't see the hype of it.

Fish and chips: Too greasy and bland, my father could cook way better Fish and chips than the British do. Even my mother's version of Fish and chips is better than the British version.

Sushi: Although I like it, but Sushi is overrated sometimes because when people talk about Japanese food they only talk about Sushi.

Pizza: I like it as well, but Pizza is overrated sometimes because when people talk about Italian food they only talk about Pizza.

Peking Duck: I like it, but sometimes I find it overrated.

Underrated dishes:

Teochew style pork trotter jelly: I know that certainpeople might find it gross, but it tastes good especially if it's eaten cold.

Congee: Certain people might find it gross/unappetizing, but if you eat porridge with several side dishes (such as boiled fish meat, braised meats, and century eggs) it is quite tasty.

Century egg: Certain people might find it gross, I know it is not that healthy but it is tasty to me. I sometimes like to eat century egg with congee or eat it with the Chinese style cold salad as appetizer.

Escargot: Certain people might find it gross, but I like it especially if it is eaten with Baguette. Love the buttery taste and the smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 AM

129 posts, read 78,317 times
Overrated: Fast food and convenience foods. I die when someone says they love McDonald's. Or Kraft macaroni and cheese -- it looks like it's made of plastic.

Underrated: Tofu. I am soy-free now, but I really miss tofu. Lots of people say it doesn't have any flavor. I agree that it is rather neutral, but that creates so many possibilities.

Wow - I know this makes me sounds like a Food Fascist (DH's nickname for me). I'm not really. I just try to live by my Grandmother's #1 food guideline: Don't eat anything that comes in a box.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Overrated--meat and potatoes dishes. Boring and to me not that healthy. Something that belongs in the 50's. Lol.
Underrated--dishes that are plant/vegie based. Lots of variety, flavor, not that expensive if you're careful, plenty of room to be creative & healthier.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Shellfish is overrated, I don't see the attraction. Summer fruits (cherries, peaches, watermelons, apricots, strawberries, mangoes, etc) are underrated, they are so delicious!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Overrated - any fast food. Pizza. Most food from chain restaurants. Meat and potatoes. And speaking of meat, I am not a big beef fan. I mean, it has it's place but I don't care for a big slab of red meat anytime, anywhere. Oh, and watermelon - YUCK. There is something about the texture that I simply cannot stand. I know - I'm weird. Cajun food is overrated as well, in my opinion. I mean, it all sort of tastes the same to me after awhile. And I am from Louisiana!

Underrated - Vietnamese food. Korean food. Asparagus. Papaya sprinkled with lime/chili powder. Street tacos! Corn tortillas! Pate. Caviar. Good cheese served with honeycrisp apple slices instead of crackers. Real butter.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Overrated:

Sriracha. If you need to dump it on whatever you're eating, it was never worth eating in the first place.

Tilapia. Farmed in a toxic waste dump in China. No thanks.

Boiled/steamed lobster at a high end restaurant for huge prices. Why?

Underrated:

Dim Sum. If I were emperor, I'd pass a law that every Chinese restaurant in the country needed to offer Dim Sum lunch with carts. I live in Dim Sum Purgatory. I have to drive an hour to find it.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Low Country Boil, and any seafood on the GA coast.

LCB seems to consist of Corn, potatoes, Sausage, and a few shrimp. I live in Savannah, and getting any fresh fish here, besides shrimp, is a fluke.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Overrated:
Artichokes - WTH? I think they're disgusting, and I know how to prepare them.
Tilapia - tofu of the fish world. Mushy and insipid, often tastes like mud.

Underrated:
Sushi - everyone thinks they're a sushi expert because they buy refrigerated sushi rolls in the supermarket. These folks often comment that sushi is "okay, but nothing special." Come on, be adventurous, try some real sushi.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Overrated: Buffalo wings, or any kind of sauce-covered chicken wings. Yuck. Wings are a waste: too much sloppy messy work for too little payoff. I would like tasty sauces on chicken, but why not put the sauce on a breast, a bigger piece of chicken that's actually worth the effort? Wings are mostly slimy/fatty skin, bones, and tendons, with very little actual meat. I can try to eat them but I only get to two or three and give up-- my fingers are all sticky, and my plate is covered in bones, tendons and skin, and I'm quite unsatisfied with the tiny slivers of chicken I've actually ingested. It's like trying to eat a grilled mouse.

Underrated: Any dessert in Vanilla. People talk about vanilla like it's a non-flavor or boring. In fact, it's now being used as a synonym for boring. But something with a very good vanilla flavor is anything but boring. Vanilla can actually have "layers" of flavor like a good wine. Even with ice cream, you can't really beat a really delicious vanilla ice cream or vanilla milkshake. No need for all kinds of crappy toppings or mix-ins to liven it up. Vanilla is awesome!

Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Overrated: Buffalo wings, or any kind of sauce-covered chicken wings. Yuck. Wings are a waste: too much sloppy messy work for too little payoff. I would like tasty sauces on chicken, but why not put the sauce on a breast, a bigger piece of chicken that's actually worth the effort? Wings are mostly slimy/fatty skin, bones, and tendons, with very little actual meat. I can try to eat them but I only get to two or three and give up-- my fingers are all sticky, and my plate is covered in bones, tendons and skin, and I'm quite unsatisfied with the tiny slivers of chicken I've actually ingested. It's like trying to eat a grilled mouse.

Underrated: Any dessert in Vanilla. People talk about vanilla like it's a non-flavor or boring. In fact, it's now being used as a synonym for boring. But something with a very good vanilla flavor is anything but boring. Vanilla can actually have "layers" of flavor like a good wine. Even with ice cream, you can't really beat a really delicious vanilla ice cream or vanilla milkshake. No need for all kinds of crappy toppings or mix-ins to liven it up. Vanilla is awesome!
I like vanilla but I also like wings..

yuck????

for me the most over rated foods.... organics and vegetables

under rated after reading above chicken wings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink