Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Overrated - kale. I'll eat it, don't get me wrong, but I just don't get the love affair some people have with it. Swiss chard is tastier.

Underrated - rendered fat. Bacon, duck, goose, beef, etc. Fat tastes good. And it's real food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Overrated:
Artichokes - WTH? I think they're disgusting, and I know how to prepare them.
Oh, man, I could eat artichokes multiple times a week. Love them.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on the Mexican (and the Italian, for that matter). Things like carnitas, ceviche, pozole, braciole, and spiedini are neither bland, nor starchy. Yeah, endless plates of pasta and marinara or tortillas filled with rice and meat are gonna get boring over time. But there's more to each cuisine than that.
I so agree with this--I make Mexican street corn all the time--easy and delicious. And not only pozole and ceviche, but also slow-braised soups like menudo, caldo de rez, caldo de pollo, as well as complex sauces are incredibly delicious.

And yes to braciola--I make a mean one that I'm still working to perfect. Anything (within reason) involtini can also be remarkable.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Raw Oysters. I have tried to like them, but I am done.
I can eat them if they are cooked, but not raw. I can eat them if they are escalloped in a casserole, too.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Overrated: Buffalo wings, or any kind of sauce-covered chicken wings. Yuck. Wings are a waste: too much sloppy messy work for too little payoff. I would like tasty sauces on chicken, but why not put the sauce on a breast, a bigger piece of chicken that's actually worth the effort? Wings are mostly slimy/fatty skin, bones, and tendons, with very little actual meat. I can try to eat them but I only get to two or three and give up-- my fingers are all sticky, and my plate is covered in bones, tendons and skin, and I'm quite unsatisfied with the tiny slivers of chicken I've actually ingested. It's like trying to eat a grilled mouse.

I admit I like chicken wings, whether drizzled in barbecue, 'buffalo', jerk or some other kind of sauce. Real wings are messy. I've been trying the "boneless" wings in many places and they are almost always disappointing. Then my favorite wings specialty restaurant called "Mr. Wings" introduced their boneless wings and I was delighted!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can eat them if they are cooked, but not raw. I can eat them if they are escalloped in a casserole, too.
Like caviar, it is an acquired taste. Once you learn to appreciate the slippery texture and briny, nutty, sweet flavors you might get hooked. I learned from my Dad to appreciate "raw bar" - raw clams, oysters, mussels, shrimp many many years ago.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Over-rated:
food trucks - roach coaches with marketing
craft beer - conspicuous consumption
sriracha sauce - tastes nasty
Starbucks - overpriced
tofu - if you don't want to eat meat, don't eat imitation meat either
"fusion cuisine" - Stop making a dish with ingredients from another culture. For example, I don't want taco ingredients on my pizza.

under-rated:
cajun & creole food - delicious!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:35 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just learned from a lady who works at a health care provider I frequent that she contracted hepatitis A from a raw oyster on the half shell she consumed a few decades ago at a restaurant in Orange County, CA. While rare, why risk it for a slimy snot looking little thing?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Overrated:

Mashed potatoes - so bland, can't believe people eat this everyday
Spaghetti with meatballs - It's like a kid's food and it's super messy to eat, why not switch the spaghetti for shells or fusilli or penne or farfalle, or you know, something that won't make your plate look like a crime scene
Carbonara - Ridiculously heavy
Cake - The spongy texture gets really lame after a while and it tastes too sugary. Now cheesecake is a completely different deal
Oreos - They don't even taste that good but they leave an aftertaste in your mouth that makes it hard to stop eating them
Starbucks - Too expensive and their coffee tastes like ass honestly
Chipotle - A salty imitation of Mexican food

Old 07-07-2016, 07:48 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Okay, I'm probably gonna burn in Hades for my opinion, but here goes:

Over-rated: any dessert made from a box or using Cool Whip or from the freezer section

Under-rated: any dessert made from scratch using real whipped cream. Also under-rated cherry, apple, or berry pies made from scratch. And Key Lime Pie!! And flan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink