Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

Convenience and Price. All cultures have fast food whether street food or huge multinational corporations. I do think more of us ( myself included) are becoming a lot more lazy and fast/processed food is basically attractive if you hate cooking or have little time to spare.

I personally hate chain fast food, bland, ( in a chemical sort of way) , fatty and unhealthy . On the other hand when I literally have 5 minutes to eat something on my way to the theatre or after the cinema at midnight when everything else is closed then my choices become rather limited... So I put up with it because it is convenient and quick.
I always regret it and never enjoy the taste of it but I see it as necessary fuel. Pleasure has nothing to do with it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 11:33 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that fast food does really taste good. I think that the reason I indulge is time. Get up at 6 to be at work by 8am. I rarely leave work before 6 pm and then have an hour commute home. If I cook then that is another hour, and I will not eat before 8 pm which I would rather not do, since I usually go to bed before 10pm. If I eat something on my way home from work, it may take another 20 minutes, but I still gives me an extra hour when I am home to do something besides cook and eat.

If my fast food choices, I would have to say that my favorite is Taco Bell also, although I don't know that it is really any more healthy than any other one.

20yrsinBranson
I think that's the thing. Our work habits tend to necessitate it. Certainly it would be better to take a sack lunch but let's be honest: The lunch ritual is for getting OUT of the office building for an hour, not sitting in the break room. What kind of break is that? On the road it's cheaper than a sit down restaurant too.

I've weened myself off regular fast foods. I'll never bring a meal home to eat: If I'm home I'll cook. I do bring a sack lunch nowadays, but that's a budget issue, and out of dietary discipline because I'm having to get used to a personally stricter regimen related to the household diet. The one thing I always craved in the morning was the Jack In The Box Croissan'wich, but now I buy bulk croissants (not butter, but they're not bad), split and toast them, microwave an egg in a bowl, zap a sausage patty with cheese. I can assemble a breakfast sandwich in about a minute, saving time from stopping anywhere.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I'm considering some trail mix and beef jerky for my trip. Something that can stand being out in a hot car and doesn't need refrigeration.

In other words, chocolate's out!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Speed and convenience, mainly.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I use it as an occasional treat. As in once every two months, maybe once a month if I'm really feeling the jones.

Same goes for doughnuts, but they're more like a once every 3 or 4 month treat.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

I personally hate chain fast food, bland, ( in a chemical sort of way) , fatty and unhealthy . On the other hand when I literally have 5 minutes to eat something on my way to the theatre or after the cinema at midnight when everything else is closed then my choices become rather limited... So I put up with it because it is convenient and quick.
I always regret it and never enjoy the taste of it but I see it as necessary fuel. Pleasure has nothing to do with it for me.
Most of the time if I am eating fast food it's because I literally have 5-10 minutes to procure food and eat it on the run. And it tastes awful to me, like plastic and chemicals. If I can find a nice submarine sandwich shop, that is a plus. I like Jimmy John's and Subway because those are at least healthier options.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,596 times
Because its a food thats cooked fast .. in America time is money honey

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
Quick and easy, get off work so late and don't have time to cook a meal because by the time it's done it's 10pm and bed time I totally wish I was I could throw together a healthy meal in minutes. I try sometimes, but I am always missing a something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink