Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Pure, unadulterated leaf lard is a luxury to cook with. I treasure it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Pure, unadulterated leaf lard is a luxury to cook with. I treasure it.
Actually, leaf lard, the fat around the kidney and the loin is usually used for baking as it lacks the normal pork flavor of lard and makes very flaky pie crusts. The stuff is fairly hard to find these days.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
It's also not hydrogenated, at least from where I buy it.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I get my share of fat in the food that I eat....and even that is too much. When I choose a roast at the market, I buy one with the one side having a layer of fat on one side, and then roast it fat side up, so that the meat gets a continuous baste on it. The fat side, when the roast is fully cooked, has diminished down to a thin outer layer. That layer is so thin that I don't worry about it. It's delicious.
All the rest of the fat, on everything else, is quite disgusting to eat (even if it is tasty).
You folks enjoy eating your fat - as the disgusting title of this thread describes.
I'll go on passing on the fat and allow my cardiovascular system to work for as long as it can.
Fat kills you. You need to exercise a little common sense. Once you get the heart condition you'll have plenty of regrets.
I'm very surprised at how many of you do not avoid at least this ONE thing.
Oh well; carry on.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
In Australia we have pork crackling......the skin with the fat fried or roasted until it crackled - was always one of the best parts of roast pork.

Unfortunately here in the pacific NW USA it it almost impossible to find a cut of pork with the fat let alone the skin still intact - sigh.

TOO much fat is obviously not good for you, but as another poster mentioned, without SOME fat, the taste is bland.

What would bacon be without the fat? yuck

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I get my share of fat in the food that I eat....and even that is too much. When I choose a roast at the market, I buy one with the one side having a layer of fat on one side, and then roast it fat side up, so that the meat gets a continuous baste on it. The fat side, when the roast is fully cooked, has diminished down to a thin outer layer. That layer is so thin that I don't worry about it. It's delicious.
All the rest of the fat, on everything else, is quite disgusting to eat (even if it is tasty).
You folks enjoy eating your fat - as the disgusting title of this thread describes.
I'll go on passing on the fat and allow my cardiovascular system to work for as long as it can.
Fat kills you. You need to exercise a little common sense. Once you get the heart condition you'll have plenty of regrets.
Oh well; carry on.
Oh, my. You ARE aware, I hope, that unsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids, used in lieu of saturated and trans fats, are actually healthy and beneficial for your cardiovascular system? "Fat" doesn't kill you. There are fats and oils that are beneficial to your heart and circulatory health, and to your digestive system as well.

I realize that this thread is predominantly about unhealthy animal fats, but saturated fats aren't the only type of fat out there. It's simply not true that "fat = death."

It's easy enough to sub in heart-healthy fats for those that are unhealthy...I do it all the time. Using olive oil for sauteeing instead of butter or tropical oils, using canola for baking rather than shortening or butter, snacking on nuts rather than chips, tossing a cubed avocado in salad rather than using dressing/cheese, etc. And, obviously, all fats, whether heart-healthy or not, should be eaten in moderation, for caloric reasons, and not eaten to the exclusion of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Oh well; carry on.
Yes, we should avoid anything that brings a little pleasure in life ... and all be sitting in the nursing home fifty years from now dying of nothing.

Nothing like a THREADJACKER to take the fun out of posting!

Where ARE the moderators?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Then there was the commercial with the woman eating the stick of butter from the wrapper....
LOL! Never saw it, but sounds fun!
I did it on a dare.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm very surprised at how many of you do not avoid at least this ONE thing.Oh well; carry on.
I hope you're at least taking some Fish Oil Pills, or your cardiovascular system won't be working as well as you think.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Like anything else, it's a question of degree......and trust me, nearly all people in this country get well more than enough fat in their diet.

That aside, I love some fat as a flavoring in meats/etc - but a piece of fat itself? No, that's rather gross. If I want something that chewy, I'll get some gum.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
The brain needs a bit of fat in order to work properly......no wonder the folks I see out there with a body fat index of 0 seem a little crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink