Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times

Advertisements

To the previous poster, I just meant a main dish, not a side dish (which would be paired with rice or bread as a sauce), but you can have the last word if you want.

To George, I think maybe Chinese cuisine is the one that has the most dishes "created" overseas? I have a Chinese friend who tells me very few so-called "Chinese dishes" cooked overseas (in many countries) are really Chinese, most of them being "Chinese-inspired"(using ingredients/cooking methods that are somehow similar to authentic Chinese cooking)?!

Anyway, I went to an (according to my Chinese friend, I am not knowledgeable enough about Chinese cuisine) authentic Chinese restaurant and the food was fantastic!!

Last edited by Miaiam; 06-27-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
I'd love to go to a real Chinese restaurant, to see how different it is from what we're used to from Chinese takeout places.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Crab Rangoon. Not Burmese but a tiki treat and a great way to use up wonton skins.

Corned beef and cabbage I've heard from Irish visitors isn't something commonly served, but how do you argue it's not a classic combo anyway?

Mission burritos. A long time ago I liked eating these even though they weren't the burritos I knew. I got sick of them over time. Too much crap overstuffing 'em.

There are weird and indulgent concoctions that have been developed, but I'd say in some cases American versions of foreign street foods are actually better, because of the ingredients and cooking methods. There's a lot of food that's fried to death out there in the world! We're developing a palate for decent veggies, not overcooked. Our beef is really not bad, and let's grant that it's quality controlled. When we're talking street food, lots of authentic dishes can be way saltier, more pungent or more bitter than we're used to so I think local modifications are just fine. That's natural fusion.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
To the previous poster, I just meant a main dish, not a side dish (which would be paired with rice or bread as a sauce), but you can have the last word if you want.
It specified Southern India for the use of curry as a side dish, not all of India where it is indeed consider a main dish. However, pairing it with rice or bread is typical of a curry meal in England too. Most curry dishes contain chunks of chicken or other meat (or vegetables but I find this less common) in a curry sauce which is often then piled on top of rice but can also be served seperately. Whether you consider the curry or the rice a main or side dish is rather moot: it's the same food. In fact what you describe right now sounds extremely similar to what is served as curry in England. So I don't understand why you're still insisting curry is something very different in England than it is in Indian. It's not - it's extremely similar, if not the exact same.

The only English influence on curry that I've seen is the option of chips (steak fries for Americans) instead of rice but most people still opt for the traditional rice. My husband only gets chips because for medical reasons, he's not supposed to have rice.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
What foods/dishes are we used to have in the US (or in any other country) that do not really exist in their "country of origin"?!

Like "curry" and "chicken tikka masala" which became popular in England as Indian food, but are not really dishes in India?!

Or peperoni, which in Italy are actually bell peppers?!

We in the US have many foods/dishes that don't exist elsewhere. The US is a melting pot of all cultures. Therefore we have a huge assortment of food choices. Some better some not quite as good as others. Depending on individual tastes and particular recipe and restaurants or eateries serving them hard to compare... Sometimes variations from "country of origin" recipes are superior to some.

Peperoni is a Bell pepper in Italy???

Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Yes, peperoni are bell peppers in Italy...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I think the whole idea of the hot dog is American--even though the Germans are known for their sausages, a hot dog isn't quite the same as a sausage.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Yes, peperoni are bell peppers in Italy...
I think you guys mean this;
Peperoncini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Some of it is, like some of the toppings Americans have come up with and chain pizza places like Pizza Hut aren't Italian at all. But a basic thin crust cheese pizza, like the type you find at a local pizzaria is about the same as you'll find it in Italy.
The thin crust depends, but yes a basic Neopolitan or Sicilian pizza is closer to the one you find here with just cheese and tomato - if you cook it in a wood fired oven that is.

As long as it tastes good.

Aussie burgers and Aussie pizza also tends to be done differently than their home country origin as well.

I can't imagine an American loading up a "burger with the lot" with pineapple, beetroot, and fried egg along with the obligatory fried onions, lettuce & tomato slices.

Once away from their homeland, foods have a tendency to evolve until their version is more rightfully part of the cuisine of the new country.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It specified Southern India for the use of curry as a side dish, not all of India where it is indeed consider a main dish. However, pairing it with rice or bread is typical of a curry meal in England too. Most curry dishes contain chunks of chicken or other meat (or vegetables but I find this less common) in a curry sauce which is often then piled on top of rice but can also be served seperately. Whether you consider the curry or the rice a main or side dish is rather moot: it's the same food. In fact what you describe right now sounds extremely similar to what is served as curry in England. So I don't understand why you're still insisting curry is something very different in England than it is in Indian. It's not - it's extremely similar, if not the exact same.

The only English influence on curry that I've seen is the option of chips (steak fries for Americans) instead of rice but most people still opt for the traditional rice. My husband only gets chips because for medical reasons, he's not supposed to have rice.
Who would have thought the usage of the term curry would become such a "heated" part of this thread?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink