Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Um, curry is and originally was (before it became popular in England) absolutely available in India, I don't know where you've gotten this idea from that it isn't.

As mentioned, it's a blend of spices and also used to describe a dish which uses those different blends of spices.
Curries are also very popular in many parts of Asia, think Thai red or green curry for instance.

I absolutely adore curries, the fact the whole house smells of it after cooking, not so much LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
This is an insteresting thread. In class one day when I was in hs, we were all trying to think of foods that were "american", meaning they were created in america and no one attempted to pass them off as from another country. The only thing I remember we came up with was squash (not sure if that's true...Then again if we get into junk food, we can probably come up with a lot: cheese puffs? ketchup? brownies? Anyone have any info?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Chicken Chow Mein and chop suey were invented in the USA, as were corn dogs, oh and Buffalo wings of course = )

American pizza is also pretty unrecognisable to an Italian as well.

edited to add - here you go - enjoy - http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2008/07...have-invented/

Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As mentioned, it's a blend of spices and also used to describe a dish which uses those different blends of spices.
Interesting, I've never heard it used to describe a dish.

Yeah I like it OK in food but the smell...P-U...I actually declined renting a house recently because the next-door neighbors were Indian and it reeked of curry outside...another neighbor said "yeah we get that a lot" - next, lol

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 AM

It's common at my place to hear "What's for dinner?" followed by "How about a curry?"

I love pretty much curried anything but like cooked cabbage the smell does tend to linger.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Curry is an anglicized word for a term usually meaning "sauce/gravy" rather than "spices". (wikipedia)

It does not mean "spice" in its country of origin.

This is what the thread is about...differences between how food/dishes nomenclature is used in their countries of origin and other countries.

Anyway, even for the ones who would like to call it a "spice", spices are also a so-called "food item". Just clarifying.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
OMG - don't even get me started on this topic

I once had a co-worker ask me why Chinese restaurants in Atlanta did not have St. Louis Chicken. She said she loved eating it back home at all the local Chinese restaurants. I told her because it was regional to St. Louis and it was not a dish that the Chinese in China make/cook. She looked at me puzzled and reminded me that it was a very popular Chinese dish in St. Louis

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
oh! yes, smores When poeple think this country is going downhill, they should just remember: we invented smores. Marshmallow mountains majesty.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
American pizza is also pretty unrecognisable to an Italian as well.
Some of it is, like some of the toppings Americans have come up with and chain pizza places like Pizza Hut aren't Italian at all. But a basic thin crust cheese pizza, like the type you find at a local pizzaria is about the same as you'll find it in Italy.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Curry is an anglicized word for a term usually meaning "sauce/gravy" rather than "spices". (wikipedia)

It does not mean "spice" in its country of origin.

This is what the thread is about...differences between how food/dishes nomenclature is used in their countries of origin and other countries.

Anyway, even for the ones who would like to call it a "spice", spices are also a so-called "food item". Just clarifying.
The wikipedia page also describes curry as a dish in Indian, which you claimed it wasn't.

Quote:
Curry ([SIZE=2]IPA: /ˈkʌri/) is a generic description used throughout European culture to describe a general variety of spiced dishes, best known in [/SIZE]South Asian cuisines, especially Indian cuisine.
Quote:
In most South Indian cuisines, a curry is considered a side-dish, which can be eaten along with a main dish like rice or bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink