Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times

Advertisements

Have been thinking of giving it a try but wonder if they can actually get tender and juicy. Online shows different ways to do it but some of these ways contradict each other. Anyone have first hand experience, good or not so good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,080 times
Interesting question. The general rule is low and slow for tough cuts and hot and fast for tender cuts. As I've never had a short rib that wasn't cooked low and slow I'm guessing it's a tough cut but it is beef and could be cooked hot and fast and eaten on the rarer side. Short ribs do have lots of connective tissue so that's probably why they are usually braised. I know for me I like beef ribs from the prime cut hot and fast. I like the pull and I like medium rare beef.

Not sure if this helps but you did not say in what way the recipes contradicted.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
I am one of those who believes any ribs need to be smoked or cooked super slowly. Now if you want to keep the fire down low and constantly check to see if the ribs are cooking it would work, but defeat the purpose for grilling.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
You can make the short ribs Korean style - kalbi. If you purchase the traditional English cut, you need to butterfly them. Otherwise purchase the L.A. cut (crosswise).

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...yle-short-ribs

Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Interesting question. The general rule is low and slow for tough cuts and hot and fast for tender cuts. As I've never had a short rib that wasn't cooked low and slow I'm guessing it's a tough cut but it is beef and could be cooked hot and fast and eaten on the rarer side. Short ribs do have lots of connective tissue so that's probably why they are usually braised. I know for me I like beef ribs from the prime cut hot and fast. I like the pull and I like medium rare beef.

Not sure if this helps but you did not say in what way the recipes contradicted.
Thanks. I think one of the recipes said cook the ribs fast, charring them, then in 15 - 20 min they'll be done pink and ready to eat. Another said slow cook them on the cooler side of the grill, away from the coals, for 90 min or so then wrap them in foil and cook again for about another 30. I was like Huh? I guess I'm hoping someone has actually cooked them and can tell how they did it and what the result was.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
You can make the short ribs Korean style - kalbi. If you purchase the traditional English cut, you need to butterfly them. Otherwise purchase the L.A. cut (crosswise).

Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Thanks. I think one of the recipes said cook the ribs fast, charring them, then in 15 - 20 min they'll be done pink and ready to eat. Another said slow cook them on the cooler side of the grill, away from the coals, for 90 min or so then wrap them in foil and cook again for about another 30. I was like Huh? I guess I'm hoping someone has actually cooked them and can tell how they did it and what the result was.

I see your point. As I've never had short ribs cooked fast and charred I can't say if they would be tough or not. However in the OP you stated tender and juicy so I would try the second method and see how that works, though I think that method has it backwards. I would cook them on the hot side of the grill first and then wrap them and finish cooking them on the cool side. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post

Thank you

Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am one of those who believes any ribs need to be smoked or cooked super slowly. Now if you want to keep the fire down low and constantly check to see if the ribs are cooking it would work, but defeat the purpose for grilling.
That's what I was thinking too, except sometimes I grill just to get that char taste and for no other reason. Then someone mentioned that short ribs come out great char grilled but I forgot to ask how they do it.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:23 AM

23,547 posts, read 24,049,201 times
We also prepare beef ribs, Korean style. They are very delicious. We use thin cuts of beef ribs and a very hot charcoal flame, so they cook quickly (1-2 minutes each side, under direct heat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink