Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, I absolutely LOVE the ALDI brand "Reggano" tradition sauce, for $1.19 per jar. I usually add just a bit more herbs to it and it's perfect. It's all natural too.

For name brands I like Classico (although I don't buy it anymore) tomato and basil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Ragu?
Prego?

No way...

Don't get me wrong, they are not as bad as people make them out to be, and once, I cooked a mean baked ziti and served it to a friend who talked about how disgusting it was, just to prove a point.

The best jarred pasta sauces I've had are by Mezzetta. A bit tough to find outside of CA, but I saw them up in WA and also back in MA a few times.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Believe it or not, I absolutely LOVE the ALDI brand "Reggano" tradition sauce, for $1.19 per jar. I usually add just a bit more herbs to it and it's perfect. It's all natural too.

For name brands I like Classico (although I don't buy it anymore) tomato and basil.

Earlier this year, I was buying a cartload of food for the Boy Scouts food drive, I noticed that Aldi also offered another sauce that looked even more upscale than the Reggiano brand for perhaps $1.59. Had I not had a pantry full of pasta sauce, I would have bought a few jars.

I have to give Aldi a lot of credit. They find great deals on some great products.

In the next weeks, you will start to see a lot of upscale German goods for Oktoberfest.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I was surprised too, 415, to see people say Ragu and Prego. ick. HOWEVER, if you like to have a jar around just in case, like people have said, too tired, whatever, Classico Tomato & Basil is the way to go. HOWEVER i was glad to see someone say Newman's vodka sauce, 'cuz I've thought about trying that. And...if you only buy it occasionally, is the price really that big of a deal?
What's a buck or two if you only buy a jar or two a year?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
newmans goes on sale frequently and offer coupons in the sunday paper, so you can get a good deal on it if you are patient.

when i was in college, we had a nice little grocery store on campus. back then id always buy the newmans own sauce because it was yummy. next year they added a high end market and i tried the rao's, didnt like it as much.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM

560 posts, read 849,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

The best jarred pasta sauces I've had are by Mezzetta. A bit tough to find outside of CA, but I saw them up in WA and also back in MA a few times.
I've seen Mezzetta before here in WA state, but can't remember Aldi. I'll keep my eyes peeled next time we grocery shop off island.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i picked up my 2 jars of ragu for .24 each. i was surprised to see all the different choices of flavors available. hopefully i picked 2 good ones. they all probably taste the same though.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Homemade pasta sauce is always best, but in a pinch, I like Prego, either plain or meat-flavored. I get it from cheap places like 99 Cent Only Stores or Big Lots. I refuse to pay inflated grocery store prices unless I have a coupon or they're on special.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I was in a Sweetbay grocery the other day (after thinking about this thread) and looked at the sauces and their different prices there. I actually saw a regular size jar of some kind of gourmet sauce that cost a whopping $9.00!!!! I mean, it's just tomatoes for cripe sake!!! How much better can it be than my $1.00 jar of ALDI delicious sauce???

Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Ragu?
Prego?

No way...

Don't get me wrong, they are not as bad as people make them out to be, and once, I cooked a mean baked ziti and served it to a friend who talked about how disgusting it was, just to prove a point.

I like the Mezzetta ones (they're the ones with different wine varietals, right?). They used to be fairly inexpensive, here, but something happened and they suddenly became the most costly jarred in the aisle. Not sure why I used to be able to get them at a lower cost than most others, but they sure are higher than most now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink