Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

On the same note of the (very nice!) thread about ethnic food, please post your favorite international (specific) dish.

Also, for the ones who enjoy cooking, please post your favorite international ingredient. What do you think is a very special ingredient at any of your favorite dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Raita (An Indian dish), just by itself (I've heard that some Americans prefer it on stuff, like as a dressing of sorts). I have an addiction to it.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM

129 posts, read 250,247 times
Sazon- a Latin seasoning. It has MSG, but seasons meat, rice, and bean dishes like you wouldn't believe. It's a must in any Puerto Rican or Dominican household.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Tzatziki sauce. It's good on burgers, salmon, chicken, seafood, and Greek dishes. It's not half bad on baked potatoes and whipped into a watermelon and cucumber salad.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
It is way, way too hard to choose even only 50. Not fair.

So today as a dish I will choose French Cassoulet and Tuna or Seabass Sashimi as I am craving both.

As an ingredient : Garlic ( there is no cooking for me without it ) and Lemongrass . And Langoustines, Spider Crab, Fillet Steak, Wild Boar, Rabbit, Hare, Wild Mushrooms, Red and White Wine, Onions etc.....

But I could make a list about 500 long quite easily !

Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Tzatziki sauce. It's good on burgers, salmon, chicken, seafood, and Greek dishes. It's not half bad on baked potatoes and whipped into a watermelon and cucumber salad.
Don't even get me started on my love for tzaziki. But it has to be the really good kind -- the THICK stuff.

It's good on anything. On EVERYTHING.

Was it with you, or with MAtheBanker, that we said that we'd eat it off a dirty floor? Not even really joking.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Don't even get me started on my love for tzaziki. But it has to be the really good kind -- the THICK stuff.

It's good on anything. On EVERYTHING.

Was it with you, or with MAtheBanker, that we said that we'd eat it off a dirty floor? Not even really joking.
Must have been MA but I agree.

This stuff is really good. I think I'll make a batch for tonight's salmon.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Choosing ONE ingredient or dish is like asking me to choose my favorite child...it can't be done.

Among my favorites are: (dishes) Tiki Masala, Bouillabaisse, tomatillo salsa, pasta with red clam sauce, pho, sushi, and of course, tzaziki...and MANY more.

(ingredients) saffron, blue cheese, hot sauce, capers...oh heck, I cant list all of them...I would be here all day!!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Must have been MA but I agree.

This stuff is really good. I think I'll make a batch for tonight's salmon.
Hold. The. Phone. You MAKE it? I know, I know -- it's just yogurt, cucumber, and garlic, but I'm still in awe.

Do you just use those three ingredients, or do you use sour cream too? In what proportions do you combine the ingredients? How do you get the garlic super-fine so that there's no garlic chunks? And the cucumber -- do you use a shredder? And, finally... What time is dinner tonight?????

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hold. The. Phone. You MAKE it? I know, I know -- it's just yogurt, cucumber, and garlic, but I'm still in awe.

Do you just use those three ingredients, or do you use sour cream too? In what proportions do you combine the ingredients? How do you get the garlic super-fine so that there's no garlic chunks? And the cucumber -- do you use a shredder? And, finally... What time is dinner tonight?????

I mostly use source cream but I also use Greek yogurt.

Grated English cucumber, garlic powder or minced garlic, a little lemon juice (sometimes), fresh dill or dill weed, salt, and pepper. I used to grate a little onion into it but I find that it's better served on top, especially if I make gyro or some sort of sandwich.

I can't give exact measurements but it's usually a 1/2 cucumber, half a clove of garlic or a small clove (use a grater), just a small amount of onion, less than 1/8 of a small onion, a cup of sour cream, and about 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt. I sprinkle on the dill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink