Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times

Advertisements

My injuries have usually been caused by other people. I was a culinary student at my high school this past year - two hours in the kitchen every day. Chef adored me because I was one of the top students, so he'd put me with the stupid kids to try to teach them a thing or two. Well, one of them didn't pay attention during our knife safety class, and while talking, was swinging the thing all over the place. I reached for something right before he did, with the same hand that held the knife. Ouch. Nothing damaging, but it didn't feel good. The same kid also splashed me with hot water, dropped a pan on my feet, and almost pushed me onto the stovetop to get by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
(all at work...) I get the usual little "nicks" with the knife and have quit burning my hand so much since I got a new stove where the oven isn't so low to the floor.

The worst injury I got was on the 3 tier thing on the wall that holds the foil, saran wrap and freezer paper... In that order, the foil being at the bottom, saran wrap in the middle and freezer paper on top. When I first went to work there, the saran wrap had a blade across it where you tore it off, a sharp blade and THAT scared me! I asked many times for it to be removed, nobody paid any attention to my request.... until one day when trying to get some foil and it wouldn't cut, I gave it a hard yank and it gave sending my index finger right into that sharp blade. I hit that blade HARD and knew the cut was to the bone.. around the joint closet to the fingernail. Off to ER they sent me to get it sewed up, it cut tendons completely.

I refused to go home and went back to work and by the time I got back, that blade was gone and have not seen it since. They ALL felt so bad that I had asked to have it removed and nobody listened.. They listen to me now when I say "that is a hazzard and scares me!"

Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I had a dark roux I was stirring for gumbo splash up onto my stomach when I was cooking shirtless. That stuff is like lava man, I had some nasty burns on me where the skin sloughed off and to this day have 6-7 small circular scars from the experience.

The worst part was I had to keep stirring while dealing with it. You know how long it takes to make a nice dark copper roux for gumbo right? I was almost done, no way I was going to let all that stirring go to waste so I'm standing there in pain with gumbo lava on my stomach stirring a freakin pot until I can dump the trinity into it.

Good times.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
I too have had the occasional burns and small cut but thankfully nothing serious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink