Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times

Advertisements

Bagna cauda at the family party on New Year's Day. Haven't had it in decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My late MIL was from Maine, grew up on a farm. She made baked beans and some kind of brown bread--maybe with molasses?--that was baked in a coffee can. She lived in Florida by then, but she made this for us.
Yes! You can buy B&M brown bread in a can in many grocery stores. My Publix has it.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My late MIL was from Maine, grew up on a farm. She made baked beans and some kind of brown bread--maybe with molasses?--that was baked in a coffee can. She lived in Florida by then, but she made this for us.
Yes, molasses. Baked beans, hotdogs, brown bread and pickled crabapples, yum.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
There are many foods that trigger great memories.

Mac and Cheese made Granny's way..
Stuffed Cabbage..
Grandfathers braised country style ribs..

Try as I may, I can not reproduce them..

Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
While reading another thread people were talking about some foods taking them back. So what fods take you back to a good memory.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table at my grandparents each of us having a small bowl of strawberries and Perx(which I think was an artificial cream, lol)

My grandfather was also Diabetic and I remember eating his prune Stella D'oro but I liked those dry things, lol.
about once a month dad going to Philipi's (the original french dip sandwich shop) about 7pm and bringing home sandwiches for us. It would be Sunday night as we ate dinner on Sundays about 2 pm or so. When he didn't get us sandwiches he would often go to the ice cream store and bring home fresh hand dipped ice cream. BTW this was in Los Angeles.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 PM

126,276 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I LOVE THIS THREAD
I remember fondly eating quark dessert at my grandmother from my mothers side. She used to make it with ripened banana or oranges and honey. Oh yummy.
I was closer to my grandmother from my fathers side. And do I ever have fond memories from that time. Whenever I spend a weekend she made sure to call her local baker to order each night before my favorite sesame and poppy seed buns. Brot & Bread: WEIZENBRÖTCHEN - GERMAN EVERYDAY ROLLS
They were delivered still warm early next morning. My grandmother boiled me 2 soft boiled eggs and I had these buns with butter,jam and Huettenkaese/cottage cheese. Special treat was 1/4 cup coffee with milk.Evenings she took me in her kitchen and we made sandwiches and we ate them out on her patio. I always had a Radlermass https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionar...k0/radlermass/
Christmas time was always special with my mother and my grandmother from my fathers side. The kitchen became for the next 3 weeks a bake shop which I will never forget!When little I spend a lot of time with my best friend and after school we went to her home and we got fresh soft Bavarian Pretzel with a thick piece of Gelbwurst or other sausage and we ran to our favorite spot holding in one hand the Pretzel and in the other hand the sausage and sometimes a thick slice of Swiss cheese in the mouth.
Lunches in junior school were very unique and memorable. Bauernbrot/Farmer bread with a thick layer of fresh cold cuts and cheese,a fruit and in a special can fresh milk from the cow that morning. Our sandwiches were wrapped in newspaper. Sometimes we exchanged or shared our lunches.
My mother was a superb cook and summertime was the best. She made Marillenknödel/apricot dumplings https://www.austria.info/uk/things-t...arillenknoedel
cold blueberry soups with semolina dumplings,steamed dumplings with warm vanilla sauce https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/...vanilla-sauce/
and not to forget the apple strudel with homemade vanilla ice cream or warm vanilla sauce.
All her sweet dishes and cakes were delicious.Savory dishes were stuffed cabbage dishes,steamed rainbow trout with boiled buttered potatoes and hot whipped horseradish,Schnitzel with Pomme Frites or Hunter Schnitzel with creamy Chanterelle mushroom sauce as well risotto with the same mushroom sauce.
( as soon as she made liver,certain meat dishes I stayed at my best friend for dinner. We both always made sure before what our mothers would cook before )

Ah the list is endless for me with all the good food but I just realized how long my post became. So I better close up and give space for others to post.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh my. Alm...awesome post...what a childhood...

Wish I could have been your twin sister...all those delights your family provided.

What is quark???

Thanks for the special recipes!

UOTE=Almrausch;50616433]I LOVE THIS THREAD
I remember fondly eating quark dessert at my grandmother from my mothers side. She used to make it with ripened banana or oranges and honey. Oh yummy.
I was closer to my grandmother from my fathers side. And do I ever have fond memories from that time. Whenever I spend a weekend she made sure to call her local baker to order each night before my favorite sesame and poppy seed buns. Brot & Bread: WEIZENBRÖTCHEN - GERMAN EVERYDAY ROLLS
They were delivered still warm early next morning. My grandmother boiled me 2 soft boiled eggs and I had these buns with butter,jam and Huettenkaese/cottage cheese. Special treat was 1/4 cup coffee with milk.Evenings she took me in her kitchen and we made sandwiches and we ate them out on her patio. I always had a Radlermass https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionar...k0/radlermass/
Christmas time was always special with my mother and my grandmother from my fathers side. The kitchen became for the next 3 weeks a bake shop which I will never forget!When little I spend a lot of time with my best friend and after school we went to her home and we got fresh soft Bavarian Pretzel with a thick piece of Gelbwurst or other sausage and we ran to our favorite spot holding in one hand the Pretzel and in the other hand the sausage and sometimes a thick slice of Swiss cheese in the mouth.
Lunches in junior school were very unique and memorable. Bauernbrot/Farmer bread with a thick layer of fresh cold cuts and cheese,a fruit and in a special can fresh milk from the cow that morning. Our sandwiches were wrapped in newspaper. Sometimes we exchanged or shared our lunches.
My mother was a superb cook and summertime was the best. She made Marillenknödel/apricot dumplings https://www.austria.info/uk/things-t...arillenknoedel
cold blueberry soups with semolina dumplings,steamed dumplings with warm vanilla sauce https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/...vanilla-sauce/
and not to forget the apple strudel with homemade vanilla ice cream or warm vanilla sauce.
All her sweet dishes and cakes were delicious.Savory dishes were stuffed cabbage dishes,steamed rainbow trout with boiled buttered potatoes and hot whipped horseradish,Schnitzel with Pomme Frites or Hunter Schnitzel with creamy Chanterelle mushroom sauce as well risotto with the same mushroom sauce.
( as soon as she made liver,certain meat dishes I stayed at my best friend for dinner. We both always made sure before what our mothers would cook before )

Ah the list is endless for me with all the good food but I just realized how long my post became. So I better close up and give space for others to post. [/quote]

Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM

126,276 posts, read 19,048,524 times
greatblueheron .....

What is Quark? Everything you need to know about this healthy dairy ingredient - goodtoknow

Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
While reading another thread people were talking about some foods taking them back. So what fods take you back to a good memory.
My mother's family is of Italian heritage, so ... yes. All of it. Homemade pasta, homemade chicken soup, fried zucchini, green beans sauteed in olive oil and garlic, and cookies! All kinds of cookies.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Rice and lentils with sliced sweet tomatoes. It was the go-to meal my mom would make me back in the days when we were kind of poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink