U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

47,409 posts, read 27,483,472 times

Advertisements

We've probably all heard of cottage cheese with pineapple, though I can't imagine whose idea that was! Or maybe you like cottage cheese with sweet or fruit mixed in.

Recently a friend served cottage cheese with marinated then diced tomatoes and green onions stirred in. I was skeptical, but it was good. Also like that it was savory and not sweet.

As a kid, we just have cottage cheese and a salt shaker. What do you mix into your cottage cheese or serve alongside?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,096,206 times
Cottage Cheese with:

Diced green olives, and a touch of Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, salt/pepper.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM

6,487 posts, read 8,071,795 times
Cottage cheese w/tomatoes is one of my favorite things to eat. I love to drizzle the tomatoes with just a bit of green goddess dressing.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM

50,847 posts, read 72,334,329 times
I don't like cottage cheese - I use instead farmers cheese and make "spring dip":
diced fresh tomatoes, diced radishes, diced peeled cucumber ( the one without seeds), diced green onions, a pinch of finely chopped dill. Salt and white pepper.
I wonder if you can do a tasty dip/bread spread ( yummy on a fresh baguette) from a cottage cheese.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,733,375 times
Split baked potato with margarine, s&p, topped with cottage cheese (full fat version, none of the namby pamby "light" stuff) and Bacos. Meal fit for a king.

Salad from my childhood ~ iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cut up canned asparagus, s&p, cottage cheese, topped with sweet onion and poppy seed dressing (used to be Henri's Tas-Tee, hard to find now). Ken's Foods makes a suitable replacement Ken's Steak House | Sweet Vidalia Onion (http://www.kensfoods.com/kf/products/productView.servlet?consumerProductId=41&productCa tegoryId=&productFlavorId=14 - broken link)

And finally, cottage cheese and Triscuits cannot exist simultaneously in my home. They are like matter and anti-matter. If they come into contact with one another they are both annihilated and disappear, apparently through some sort of dipping process

Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 PM

10,369 posts, read 19,625,844 times
Showing my age here, but I love cottage cheese with pineapple. My latest favorite food though is Fage yogurt with Polaner sugarfree strawberry jam mixed in.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,955,648 times
cottage sheese with strawberry jam
cottage cheese with Bleu Cheese dressing & mayo

I also love me some cottage cheese, and I'm always thinking up new ways to have it.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM

12,540 posts, read 1,955,402 times
I like it almost any way...grew up eating it with salt and pepper. I also like pineapple, and peaches are good in it too. I also love it with homegrown tomatoes!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,111,786 times
I prefer to keep the fruit in my yogurt and eat my cottage cheese savory. I think the OP's friend's cottage cheese sounded really yummy. Usually I just season it with pepper and/or paprika, but I even like it plain.

I prefer the larger curd size as the small curds have a grainier texture that I find less appealing. I really like the individual serving packages because then each serving is fresh, and the portion sizes are perfect for the amount of cottage cheese I can stomach at one time. When you buy a big container, as soon as you break the seal it starts absorbing flavors from the fridge, so a few servings into it, it can start to be less than pleasant (I notice this especially with cottage cheese at restaurants, blech).

Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM

38,808 posts, read 68,927,709 times
Canned tuna or salmon, some onion, salt and pepper, and then use it as a dip with celery, green pepper, carrots, etc.

I don't mind pineapple in cottage cheese, but the store-bought varieties are usually too sweet.

It also makes a good salad dressing, with a splash of red wine or tarragon vinegar.

For a chip dip, whirl equal parts cottage cheese and yogurt in a food processor, and mix in green onion, garlic, lemon juice, pepper and whatever herbs you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink