U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Seattle
91 posts, read 212,104 times
Reputation: 158

Advertisements

What are people planning to cook this weekend? I am planning on doing an all-day, slow BBQ of a pork shoulder this weekend. Will probably throw a few sausages on for the last couple of hours. I'm sure there will be plenty of other food. Here is my recipe for the pork shoulder:

4 to 5 pound pork shoulder, bone in and extra fat trimmed
Dijon mustard
Rosemary and brown sugar rub:
2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,169 posts, read 4,832,870 times
Reputation: 5607
I'm doing something with chicken. What will that be? Who knows, lol. I'll make pasta salad, grill corn on the cob, and make a couple other dishes.

I'll spend most of Saturday enjoying college football. I'm grilling burgers and hot dogs for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle
91 posts, read 212,104 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'm doing something with chicken. What will that be? Who knows, lol. I'll make pasta salad, grill corn on the cob, and make a couple other dishes.

I'll spend most of Saturday enjoying college football. I'm grilling burgers and hot dogs for that.
Sounds like a good Saturday to me. How's about some beer can chicken?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM
 
438 posts, read 1,629,474 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
What are people planning to cook this weekend? I am planning on doing an all-day, slow BBQ of a pork shoulder this weekend. Will probably throw a few sausages on for the last couple of hours. I'm sure there will be plenty of other food. Here is my recipe for the pork shoulder:

4 to 5 pound pork shoulder, bone in and extra fat trimmed
Dijon mustard
Rosemary and brown sugar rub:
2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
I am doing a pork butt too...just can't figure out how I am going to cook it yet. Are you smoking yours? I don't have a smoker. Was either going to indirect cook it on my gas grill for 8 hours or cheat and do it in the oven kind of braising it for around 4 hours. I have never done it on a grill before usually braise on the stovetop carnita style but I want more of pulled pork this time...I like your rub though, I usually use all the same for my ribs minus the cumin and rosemary, and add smoked paprika
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle
91 posts, read 212,104 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
I am doing a pork butt too...just can't figure out how I am going to cook it yet. Are you smoking yours? I don't have a smoker. Was either going to indirect cook it on my gas grill for 8 hours or cheat and do it in the oven kind of braising it for around 4 hours. I have never done it on a grill before usually braise on the stovetop carnita style but I want more of pulled pork this time...I like your rub though, I usually use all the same for my ribs minus the cumin and rosemary, and add smoked paprika
Cool! I will be cooking mine on my charcoal weber, indirect. I will add wood chips to the fire for the whole time it is cooking. I will either use apple or cherry wood, most likely cherry. The fruit woods impart a less intense smoke flavor, which my wife and I both like. Probably take anywhere from 8 to 10 hours at 225° - 250°.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
 
438 posts, read 1,629,474 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Cool! I will be cooking mine on my charcoal weber, indirect. I will add wood chips to the fire for the whole time it is cooking. I will either use apple or cherry wood, most likely cherry. The fruit woods impart a less intense smoke flavor, which my wife and I both like. Probably take anywhere from 8 to 10 hours at 225° - 250°.
Nice, that sounds good! Do you flip or turn yours every couple of hours or just leave it be the whole time? I am leaning towards doing it on the grill, I like the low and slow process much better then the oven, plus the taste is way better!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Seattle
91 posts, read 212,104 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
Nice, that sounds good! Do you flip or turn yours every couple of hours or just leave it be the whole time? I am leaning towards doing it on the grill, I like the low and slow process much better then the oven, plus the taste is way better!
Never flip your meat! In all seriousness, leave it alone and only open the grill long enough to add fuel to the fire.

I am going to be experimenting with a new way to run my coals so that I don't have to open the lid. I've heard it referred to as the modified minion method. It involves layering the coals in an open ended ring around the bottom of the kettle and only lighting one end of the ring. The fire will eventually make its way around the bottom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
 
438 posts, read 1,629,474 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Never flip your meat! In all seriousness, leave it alone and only open the grill long enough to add fuel to the fire.

I am going to be experimenting with a new way to run my coals so that I don't have to open the lid. I've heard it referred to as the modified minion method. It involves layering the coals in an open ended ring around the bottom of the kettle and only lighting one end of the ring. The fire will eventually make its way around the bottom.
I thought so but wasn't sure on a pork butt, I will leave it be! I like that method on the charcoal, hope it works out...Once we get out of our condo and can bust out my weber charcoal again I will steal that idea and give it a ride! Thanks for the tips and good luck with your pork! (Oh I forgot to ask, do you have a drippings pan or anything or just slap that baby on the gates?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top