Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Wow.......just wow..........:rolle yes:
You DO know that when you season cast iron, one puts it in the oven and heats it....that has a tendency to kill off pathogens.
Although, I suppose if I said the sky was blue, you would beleaguer my point......

I love cast iron. And I still use the skillet my mother used when Harriet Nelson was cooking in the kitchen on TV. But I don't think I could drop an egg on a black iron surface that had a pedigree of unknown origin. But, then I wouldn't French kiss Joy Behar (the real one) either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM

OP, please read the seasoning reference Joy posted above, it actually has the correct information. Many years ago I bought a beautiful Dutch Oven in black iron and seasoned it with olive oil. It was never the same. Even after I scrubbed the sticky mess with steel wool, it was never right. I think they start with some factory finish on there that helps the process.

So get some pork lard and do it right.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
SL, the one poster is correct about cooking on a gas stove. I have cooked on both and nothing can beat cooking with gas. As far as your bird and breathing problem, you would only have to have your bird out of your home the first time you cleaned the oven, the "vapors" emitted are very strong the first time and you have to have adequate ventilation, after that you are fine, no "vapors".

Please don't buy cookware from China and not Teflon either as others have said. Good luck in your search.

Wilson, thank you on the tip of pork lard for the cast iron. I have some in my freezer.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OP, please read the seasoning reference Joy posted above, it actually has the correct information.
If you are going to call me names, try the right one. My name is Gretchen.
And of course I gave the correct info, I've been cooking with cast iron for over 40 years.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Non stick is a pain! I never saw a great chef cooking in non-stick pans, well - maybe for a TV show...
OH-OH... I think I'm in trouble. I bought my set of pans several years ago from QVC...AND... I live in the country & that's all we have, is ELECTRIC.
AND... I have a maytag Gemini (double oven) with a glass top.
I'm really in trouble aren't I ???

Quote:
Just PLEASE dont buy anything with Teflon, its toxic if overheated. (the fumes)
Quote:
Pushing back the bars of ignorance is hard work.
Everyone deserves a vacation.....oh, and it was Missouri, not Mexico.
I can see how you got confused, they both start with M.
Kshe girl...I LOVE YOU... We Missouri girls stick together...
Only you came back in crappy HOT & HUMID weather...we could of gotten together. LTTP could of joined us, too.

I do have a cast iron lodge square skillet. Honestly I think I made cornbread in it a few times, nothing else. I've had it about 6 years.
SO.... to season it...what is the best to season it with & how often ?
Season it even if I don't use it...how often.
It's rather scary to use that heavy hunk of iron on a glasstop.

OK... let me have it.. I can take it. What should I do ??? H E L P !!!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Kshe girl...I LOVE YOU... We Missouri girls stick together...
Only you came back in crappy HOT & HUMID weather...we could of gotten together. LTTP could of joined us, too.
OMG, was it hot!!!!!!
I thought I was gonna melt during Jour de Fete in Sainte Genevieve, but beer helped, lol. Wouldnt you know it cooled off the day I left????
As far as your glass top and cast iron, the manufacturer does not recommend using it, as it can really scratch the glass, but perfectly fine to use in the oven for cornbread!
Heres the link again for seasoning cast iron, I swear by it!
Seasoning and Caring for cast iron cookware

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Thanks... I saved it in my favorites.

We do have a electric burner/coil stove in our basement. I could use it on there. I always forget about that stove. It was only used 2 years, before the Gemini. That's why we saved it.

We had 2 cool days mid 80's...but this is the weekend HIGH 78*. FINALLY a day of 70's weather. It hasn't been in the 70's since May.
We use to go to St. Gen years ago they had great crafts. Geeez that's been about 15 years ago.

I know...I know... MODS...off subject... don't wip me. LOL...i sorry ;-)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Thanks... I saved it in my favorites.

We do have a electric burner/coil stove in our basement. I could use it on there. I always forget about that stove. It was only used 2 years, before the Gemini. That's why we saved it.

We had 2 cool days mid 80's...but this is the weekend HIGH 78*. FINALLY a day of 70's weather. It hasn't been in the 70's since May.
We use to go to St. Gen years ago they had great crafts. Geeez that's been about 15 years ago.

I know...I know... MODS...off subject... don't wip me. LOL...i sorry ;-)
They recommend stainless for your Gemini, flat bottomed. Aluminum doesnt conduct heat very well, glass not at all......ask me how I know these things, lol!
Off-topic, the crafts were great this year, I shipped some stuff home for clients, and Oberle smoked sausage, too! Not to mention wine.....
How lucky for you that you have 2 options to cook with! I'm envious!

Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OP, please read the seasoning reference Joy posted above, it actually has the correct information. Many years ago I bought a beautiful Dutch Oven in black iron and seasoned it with olive oil. It was never the same. Even after I scrubbed the sticky mess with steel wool, it was never right. I think they start with some factory finish on there that helps the process.

So get some pork lard and do it right.
I had read some place not to use olive oil also. I also read that olive oil goes rancid real quick and iron does hold on to the stuff in the pores.

I also agree with everyone here it will be a new cast iron and not second hand due to the pore situation. However they do say that the oil doesn't get in you food but I would say it has to maybe not a lot but that is what makes it nonstick the oi seeping out. ( IMHO )

Also I said copper has a fume but acturally it is more of smell not a fume as in the nonstick Teflon, Teflon is a fume and is dangerous. Copper is just a smell and I'm not using it for that reason however copper is a good choice but not for me.

Just to let you know I decided on this set.http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Ess...pr_product_top Yes I know they are not made in the USA but I had to make a decision and this is what I got.

Thanks everyone for your feed back helped alot.

Last edited by Starlady01; 09-04-2010 at 04:29 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Warranty Information

Bird Safety General Information

All T-FAL non-stick coatings contain PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), a remarkable plastic polymer. This is the slippery ingredient that makes the non-stick finish. PTFE is made up of "tetra fluoro ethylene" molecules that contain only carbon and fluorine. The non-stick coating is not attacked by acid or alkali bases and is very stable when heated. Health authorities in the US, Canada, France, Europe and other countries have approved non-stick PTFE coatings for use on cookware. Actually, it is an inert substance which does not enter into chemical reactions with food, water, or household cleaners. If ingested, it is totally innocuous to the body. Non-stick is so safe it is frequently used by the medical profession for coating heart stimulators, small pipes used as replacement arteries, and has even been injected into patients with serious kidney conditions.

To cause any possible hazard to the consumer, it would be necessary to heat 36 non-stick frying pans simultaneously to 750° F. Since in a domestic kitchen the maximum temperature possible to which a pan can normally be heated is approximately 575° F, there is no risk should a pan be accidentally overheated.

Please note that any material overheated at a high enough temperature will emit fumes. Fumes from overheated non-stick cookware will not adversely affect humans or household pets with the exception of birds. Birds' delicate respiratory systems are highly sensitive to everyday kitchen fumes resulting from ordinary cooking, whether using non-stick or uncoated cookware. Users should observe good cooking practices and never allow non-stick cookware to overheat. For safety, veterinarians recommend that birds always be kept in a well-ventilated room away from the kitchen.

Only T-Fal non-stick cookware has Thermo-Spot, a unique patterned red spot in the center of the frying pan that changes to solid red when the pan is perfectly pre-heated and ready to cook. By monitoring pre-heating using Thermo-Spot, cooking can start without the empty pan overheating.

For more information on our cookware products please visit our question and answer section. You may also send us an email or call us at 800.395.8325.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink