Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Now I have to check my tuna cans Normally I get what is the cheapest albacore, but not no more.....Thanks for that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I opened a can of Bubble Bee tuna in water yesterday. It was a puree consistency "soup" - no chunks at all. Very disappointing!
Hope I was right ..well actually I'd rather be wrong. Thought I was told Starkist and Chicken of the Sea were being processed in China. I'd noticed instead of nice flaky tuna they had become mush. Just bought some Bumble Bee White Albacore...haven't looked at yet. Not sure now as person I thought told me says they're being processed on boats at sea. I'm confused now! But, as with other things they may not be required to list country of origin. I hate that don't you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hope I was right ..well actually I'd rather be wrong. Thought I was told Starkist and Chicken of the Sea were being processed in China. I'd noticed instead of nice flaky tuna they had become mush. Just bought some Bumble Bee White Albacore...haven't looked at yet. Not sure now as person I thought told me says they're being processed on boats at sea. I'm confused now! But, as with other things they may not be required to list country of origin. I hate that don't you??
All the other than albacore I have gotten are soup even after strenuously draining....Gotta check it out...and yes I hate crap ....now even tuna has been outsourced, what next...don't answer that please

Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I really miss the honkin' big tin of Safcol solid albacore - as I said I still am amazed at the piddly size of the tins of tuna here.
no 425g tins there?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 AM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
checked at HEB yesterday and most of the canned fish there is made somewhere far, far away, like Indonesia, Vietnam, China etc.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
You mean just HEB's brand (forgot the name)... or Starkist, Chicken of the Sea, Bumble Bee.. and does that include albacore?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 AM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I almost never buy anything HEB brand if I can avoid it. No, those were Starkist, CoS, BB and others.
BTW it makes me always wonder why the majority of fish sold in cans is tuna. There are few cans of something else like salmon, sardines, if you very lucky you might see mackrell or, yeah... when I think about ... what else?? except shrimps, crab, ousters, and ( rarely) mussels??
There are so many sorts of fish, ethnic stores sell at least a dozen others but a regular grocery store has mostly... tuna

The HEB brand will be HillCountry or something like that.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
I have no idea what "HEB" is.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
no 425g tins there?
nope, sadly - most are the "one serve" size - like 7 oz I think is the biggest. Hardly enough for ONE decent size tuna pattie.

The reason I miss the big Safcol tins is you'd always get a nice SOLID piece of tuna filling up most of the can.........and that piece could be "flaked" nicely - as other posters are saying on here - a LOT of the tuna in cans here is just "mush"

Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I like chunk light tuna in oil preferably Bumble Bee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink