Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Buy A Homebaked Good?
Yes 49 74.24%
No 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about the Target thing. Their entire intention was to have a blanket policy against solicitation. The Salvation Army couldn't beg for funds, but neither could the Klan or American Nazi Party. And if I find a place that doesn't have the bell ringers, I heartily enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They sell them in front of Walmart as 1) Walmart generates more traffic and 2) a lot of the other chain stores, like Target, don't allow them to do it. A couple of years ago Target did the same thing to the Salvation Army ringers until they saw teh public reaction.
But I was wondering if the same people who won't buy homemade baked goods from a fundraiser in front of a Walmart but would do so at the church itself would buy girl scout cookies in the same location.

As for blanket non-solicitation, whenever anyone tries to be fair (the rule, whatever the rule is, applies to everybody), there's always someone who cries "not fair!" if it applies to them or their pet charity or religion, though they have no problem with it applying to others.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But I was wondering if the same people who won't buy homemade baked goods from a fundraiser in front of a Walmart but would do so at the church itself would buy girl scout cookies in the same location.
I had posted two posts above you the first time you asked this a couple pages back Can't speak for the rest but here's what I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hygiene isn't the reason I don't buy from people selling outside Wal-mart (for example). For me it's more of a "worlds colliding" kind of thing - I don't buy girl scout cookies when they have a stand outside wal-mart either.

On the other hand, I don't go to church to worship but would go to just about any church to buy baked goods or pierogies or other yummies. Someone sets a grill up in a parking lot? I'll take two of whatever they're selling

Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I wanted to mention that I always buy Girl Scout cookies and Boy Scout popcorn in front of Wal Mart of Lowe's. It is much safer for these young people than going door to door and I appreciate that they are learning valuable people skills as well as counting money, etc. I also give to the Disabled Vets selling poppies, the Shriners selling newspapers, etc.

And while I am on my soap box, I would much rather buy in front of Wally World rather than be harassed at work by the parents trying to push us all to buy from them so that their children get credit.

So, bring on the fundraisers where people actually give of themselves for a good cause.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I had posted two posts above you the first time you asked this a couple pages back Can't speak for the rest but here's what I said...
Thanks for your response - it was clearly a matter of us cross-posting, because that wasn't there when I wrote my post!

Now, could you clarify what you mean by "worlds colliding"?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Thanks for all the great feedback. It's wonderful to know that many would consider buying. We're a very small church and couldn't hope to generate enough "buzz" on our own to see a large enough end result. Selling in front of Walmart seems like a good way to benefit from the built-in customers.Will definitely take the donation jar suggestion and will also aim to see if local bakeries would donate goods for those that might be a bit cautious about buying homebaked goods.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I can't pass up a church food thing either, especially the local Catholic parish with their mainly Hispanic flock. Oy, tamales caseras hechas a mano....

Some of my fondest food memories are the church potlucks of my youth.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
Yes, I woukld buy a baked good from a fundraiser. It's not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean, it's what comes out of it.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
Yes, I woukld buy a baked good from a fundraiser. It's not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean, it's what comes out of it.

What?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I would rather just give them a donation. They can keep their homemade food.
If it's for a cause I agree with, I will just give them a buck or two; they can keep their gooey chocolately buttery sugary baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink