Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times

Advertisements

Hands. And lots of hand washing. There are some things I just cannot do with gloves or utensils. Homemade breads for one.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
The clean hands are better than rubber/plastic gloves! There are more bacterias on the gloves!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
Start off with lots of hand washing. I cannot make meatloaf without using my hands.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The clean hands are better than rubber/plastic gloves! There are more bacterias on the gloves!

Nonsense. There is no bacteria on the gloves. They come out of the package and are in the trash in 5 minutes.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Nonsense. There is no bacteria on the gloves. They come out of the package and are in the trash in 5 minutes.
And in those 5 minutes get the same amount of bacteria as on your hands!
And what about the cooks that use the same gloves for one day? Anyway... I think cooking with gloves it's crazy! Now people are afraid to use their own hands because of bacterias ) ...that's hilarious! When I was a kid I never washed my hands and I was eating apples without washing them (just picked up from the tree) and I never got sick or had any problem.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
^That's my point...some of us eat with our hands, and we do just fine. I don't think we dip them in a bacterial pool or an antibacterial solution first, we just eat with fairly clean hands.

About the gloves. When I worked for Subway, we used gloves. Initially, our hands were clean, but when you have a rush, you don't take the time to wash between handling money and donning the next pair of gloves! So you are handling presumably clean gloves with dirty hands. Not to mention the fact that those gloves are exposed to any bacteria floating around in the air already.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
And in those 5 minutes get the same amount of bacteria as on your hands!
And what about the cooks that use the same gloves for one day? Anyway... I think cooking with gloves it's crazy! Now people are afraid to use their own hands because of bacterias ) ...that's hilarious! When I was a kid I never washed my hands and I was eating apples without washing them (just picked up from the tree) and I never got sick or had any problem.
I use vinyl gloves to handle poultry and raw meat in the kitchen not for "cooking."

I also use them to clean up cat vomit and to clean the cat box. I use them to handle the pool chemicals and to check the oil in my cars. I wear them when I am bandaging other people's children and when I pick up the trash strangers have left on the sidewalk around my office. I use them when sorting the dirty laundry of house guests. I immediately discard them in the trash by pulling them inside out.

Anyone who does not wear gloves for those tasks is entitled to their choices and my skepticism about their hygiene.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Wilson, you misapplied the intent of that section of her post. When you are certified in food safety, you learn of all these and actually, quite a few other food borne illnesses you left out, one of them being listeria, but which are all quite common. She was speaking to germaphobia, not directly to food contamination.

An important thing we learn in food safety courses is also proper food storage. You can have cross contamination occur in the fridge by not knowing and understanding which foods present which danger; and improperly storing them near one another.

Not sure any of this is what the OP had in mind with the original query, but it's been a great topic.

Edit: OH, I didn't read the entire thread before posting this... I hadn't seen Texas and others had replied to you. Sorry for piling on. It wasn't my intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Boy are you confused! The germs that help us maintain antibodies to infection are "human" germs. It is good to have regular contact with human microbes. Shaking hands, kissing the grandchildren, etc., all good. The organisms that we are concerned with in food safety have absolutely nothing to do with that.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
How do you ensure, as we've asked a number of times, that the gloves themselves have no contamination? From something as simple as exposure to the air?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Hands, of course!
I was in the restaurant biz, and have my food safety cert from the state of Florida, so I know what I'm doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink