Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 05:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I used to love them in the U.S. and just discovered they are from ----here. Never seen them here, either. Have any of you eaten another variety of corn nuts? Other than the commercial U.S. variety? Here's what Wiki says:

Corn nuts,[1] also known as toasted corn,[2] quico, or Cracker are a snack food made of roasted or deep-fried corn kernels. It is referred to as cancha in Peru and chulpi in Ecuador.

Holloway later renamed his product CornNuts. After Holloway and his sons Maurice and Rich learned of a breed of corn grown in Cusco, Peru (often referred to as Cuzco corn[4]) that grew large kernels (some said to have been bigger than a quarter), the company researched developing a hybrid of the Cusco corn that could be grown effectively in California. After a decade of research, the company introduced CornNuts made with the hybrid variety in 1964.[3] CornNuts sold on the market today are no longer of the large Cusco corn size.

Do you-all still enjoy Corn Nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 06:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
It has been on the package that the corn is raised in Latin America.

They are the MOST EXPENSIVE snack fpok on the market and I have the dental bills to prove it.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:52 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It has been on the package that the corn is raised in Latin America.

They are the MOST EXPENSIVE snack fpok on the market and I have the dental bills to prove it.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that aspect. I didn't have crowns back when I was snacking on them. Hmmm

Still like to try making them, though. My sister lived in Peru many years and says she makes them.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Never had them and now it may be in my best interest not to try the real McCoys. I wonder if corn could be parboiled and then deep fried....

Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Ate them while in middle school almost daily, as they were sold in the student’s store.
Loved the BBQ flavored ones back then. Not sure I could eat them now, due to the hardness and sodium content.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:50 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm not willing to maybe crack a tooth on them - they aren't that good!

Old 04-02-2022, 06:47 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
I used to love CornNuts! Years back they used to put a seed pack in with the product. I think there was 3 or 4 very large seed kernels in the pak. I planted the seeds, nurtured them and was surprised to see sprouts that rapidly grew to be about 12 ft tall. They formed ears but a storm beat them down and put an end to that project!

Old 04-02-2022, 09:59 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I used to love them in the U.S. and just discovered they are from ----here. Never seen them here, either. Have any of you eaten another variety of corn nuts? Other than the commercial U.S. variety? Here's what Wiki says:

Corn nuts,[1] also known as toasted corn,[2] quico, or Cracker are a snack food made of roasted or deep-fried corn kernels. It is referred to as cancha in Peru and chulpi in Ecuador.

Holloway later renamed his product CornNuts. After Holloway and his sons Maurice and Rich learned of a breed of corn grown in Cusco, Peru (often referred to as Cuzco corn[4]) that grew large kernels (some said to have been bigger than a quarter), the company researched developing a hybrid of the Cusco corn that could be grown effectively in California. After a decade of research, the company introduced CornNuts made with the hybrid variety in 1964.[3] CornNuts sold on the market today are no longer of the large Cusco corn size.

Think about the corn that you get in Ecuador. Choclo has large kernels and is very different from American sweet corn.

When I was in Guayaquil back in the ‘80’s, push-cart snack vendors sold a homegrown version of Corn Nuts. I have no idea if they are still available.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:06 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Yep...ate them a few times in a college library back in the day...some others got ticked since their loud crunch is distracting lol.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:08 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Think about the corn that you get in Ecuador. Choclo has large kernels and is very different from American sweet corn.

When I was in Guayaquil back in the ‘80’s, push-cart snack vendors sold a homegrown version of Corn Nuts. I have no idea if they are still available.
That matches my experiences with corn nuts in Peru. They were quite crunchy but not hard enough to break a tooth or anything. They were also larger and 'fluffier' than corn nuts I've had here.

Not one of my favorites, especially the hard ones we get in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink