Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times

Advertisements

I've been having such a difficult time getting steaks to turn out juicy and tender! I do various marinades, and panbroil the steaks to medium/medium-well (I can't do pink meat); they always turn out very tough and chewy in texture. Very frusturating.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately, using a grill is not an option for me either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Dry aging is the way. Buy the meat on Wednesday. Put it in the frig immediately in its original packaging. On Saturday evening it will have had three days. Remove it from the packaging, dry it off with paper towel. Apply rub. Let it warm up a little on the kitchen counter covered with plastic for a half an hour or so. Then preheat your skillet as hot as you can get it, drop in the steak, no oil or butter in the pan. Give it about 1 minute per 1/4 inch of thickness, flip one time in pan and cook until done by touch or temperature probe (this might be a couple of minutes or 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak, the presence of bones, the heat of the pan, etc). Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-07-2010 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Try this. With its razor sharp blades you can tenderize your meat quickly. Works wonders before you marinate your meat. The ONLY way to tenderize meat is to break down the connective tissues of the meat. You do this by aging Wet or Dry (look up the processes). Aging is a euphemism for controlled rotting. The only other way is by mechanically tenderizing the meat by force. Pounding, beating and slicing. I use the machine below before marinating or applying a dry rub to meat. It allows the flavors to penetrate much deeper into the flesh. I think Eleana Bobbit endorses this device.

Deni

Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
what cut of meat are we talking about?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
If you're going medium or more you're probably just overcooking to get it there, I'd recommend you try a bake & sear on 'em so that they aren't over really high heat as long.

Details here, he's doing 'em med-rare so just up the oven time some:

Foo(d) Bar Blog: How to Cook the Perfect Steak

Quote:
Several months ago, Cooks Illustrated published a technique for cooking steak that turned convention on its head. Instead of following the advice to first sear the steak, then finish it (either on the grill or in the oven), Cooks Illustrated recommended raising the internal temperature of the steak to about 90 degrees in the oven, then finishing it off by searing it on all sides. The reasoning is that by first bringing the internal temp up to 90 degrees, the final sear is able to give you a nice caramelized crust without the usual band of overcooked gray meat that sits just below the surface and the undercooked, often raw center that follows. I've tried this technique twice now - once on a prime NY strip and a second time on a Kobe NY strip steak, and both times the steak has come out absolutely perfect - seared on the outside with a nice caramelized crust, and completely medium-rare on the inside - all the way through. The steaks have been buttery soft and extremely flavorful and juicy. I'll probably never cook steak another way again.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you're going medium or more you're probably just overcooking to get it there, I'd recommend you try a bake & sear on 'em so that they aren't over really high heat as long.

Good article and very interesting. This sounds like a great way to cook a steak if you don't have a grill. I will have to try it sometime to see how it turns out.. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

I'd add....leave the steaks in a closed oven with the heat turned off. They will continue to cook without over cooking/drying out.

It is a combination of correct cooking and purchasing a better cut of meat. If you are currently purchasing steaks at the grocery store try going to a real butcher shop.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
I've used the salting technique on Costco steaks and it turns out great. Just be sure to rinse & pat the steaks down dry to remove any excess on the surface. Some ppl are sensitive to sodium levels and don't care for salting or brining.

Take a look at this blogpost:

Steak: How to Turn Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

And if all else fails you can always mail-order Snake River Farms american kobe ribeye's!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Here's the Alton Brown method:

YouTube - How to properly cook a Steak In Cast Iron pan

Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
the steaks to medium/medium-well (I can't do pink meat)
That's your problem. Best advice is to use a higher fat steak such as a ribeye. Otherwise a low and slow braise in a covered pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink