Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Sorry you have been deprived satx56. Baken ets are a sorry excuse for the real thing which is in the picture I posted. That is a whole piece of pig belly where bacon comes from. Being from San Antonio I would think you have had the really thing not Faken ets. Go to a local carniceria and expand your horizons. You will not be disappointed.
I have never had one hot out of the oil, but I prefer the bagged chicharrones to the "homemade" ones. Also, I don't like the small, hard kind at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I think I buy the store brand or some other cheaper off-brand of just about everything.

A few exceptions. I buy imported Mexican hot sauce in one-liter bottles. I like aged sharp cheddar cheese, and store brands taste more like Velveeta. Store-brands of a few things like Sour Cream have lots of additives that some name brands don't. I read the labels, and reject store brands that are too heavily adulterated, if that makes a difference for that product. I buy imported Basmati rice, but it's probably not really worth the price difference.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Interesting how many posts have mentioned ketchup loyalties.

Which leads to the obvious question, which can divide nations and tear marriages apart, which can cause wars and lead to the death of millions.... do you refrigerate that ketchup or not?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,403,510 times
YES, it keeps fresher.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
(Last time shopped at Costco, the canned good were all name brand.)

Has to be Hormell (or Stagg Chili). I have a hot cheese dip recipie that just doesn't taste the same with Dennisions or Nalleys (greasy). Heinze catsup or nothing thank you (maybe fry sauce).

Most of the rest, I'm not too picky. Do like Tillamook cheese though, Bandon is darn close.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Which leads to the obvious question, which can divide nations and tear marriages apart, which can cause wars and lead to the death of millions.... do you refrigerate that ketchup or not?
I hooked you up with a thread on this.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:

I generally don't even buy ketchup. It's just tomato paste, water, and lots of sugar so there are much better condiments out there which not only taste better but actually don't contain all that sugar. I'll use sauce andalouse instead of ketchup on fries (it has lots of fat in it but a little adds a lot of flavor so there is no need to drench the fry in it like drench them in ketchup) and aioli tastes wonderful on a burger with a bit of extra sharp English mustard. Like Dirty Harry I shake my head every time I see someone put ketchup on a hot dog.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:

Yes, I put ketchup in the fridge.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
LOL. Wars can be fought over refrigerating or not refrigerating ketchup.

I keep it in the cupboard. Why put a cold condiment on a hot food?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I don't think you have to refrigerate mustard either. Several days ago, our fridge light stayed on overnight and the heat wrecked a bunch of food (I had just made a big batch of turkey soup from scratch the night before, too--ARGH). We threw out the mayo and some other condiments--I don't care what somebody said in another thread about not needing to refrigerate mayo!--but the mustard said, "For best flavor, keep refrigerated." Not that you had to. We finished tossing the stuff this weekend, and my squeamish husband wanted to toss the mustard. I told him, "Why? You've been eating it all week on the sandwiches I make you."

Anyway, about store brands. Oats have to be Quaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink