Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times

Advertisements

My tastes have definitely changed. I don't crave sweets as much as I used to when I was a kid -- That's the obvious or "typical" one people think of. But I've also grown to dislike certain vegetables that I actually enjoyed when I was a kid, contrary to stereotype.

There are several foods that I was told I would grow up to like yet I didn't. For instance, I'm not much of a drinker because whenever I sipped a bit of wine as kid just to see the flavour, it didn't taste good and it still doesn't.

I also don't see the deal with coffee. Although I grew up drinking a lot of tea, I'm fairly indifferent to it now too.

There are certain foods that are acquired tastes but the acquisition didn't take the span of a childhood or even a few years. For instance, certain foreign or unfamiliar foods tasted "odd" at first try, but I grew to like them after only a few tries or possibly the second. I initially found lamb really odd in flavour and distasteful the first time, but strangely enough not any more on the second time, and it's my favourite meat now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Just in general, things seem to taste a lot blander than they used to. I tend to use a lot of hot sauce and salt and pepper lately.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
If you have picked up the habit of drinking beer on a regular basis, your taste buds will change. This is because beer is an acquired taste. Most people who first start drinking beer in their late teens and twenties often state that beer is bitter and fowl tasting. However, if you drink a wider variety of beers over time, you will come to appreciate the taste of different beers. Often times, people who have acquired a taste for beer no longer enjoy drinking soda because it begins to taste "too sweet". I am glad I live in the Baltimore Area which has one of the greatest selection of high quality microbrew beers on the market. Clipper City brewing company based in Baltimore makes some high quality and affordable beers.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I really don't enjoy most beer, but a nice pint of Stella Artois (draft only) is tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
When I lived in Southern California where there's plenty of orange groves an employee of a grocery store told me that they get there oranges etc from out of the USA . When I inquired of why they don't get their oranges right there California I was told by that person that California orange groves don't supply enough oranges.
I remember when the last orange grove in Orange County disappeared. I thought that was quite sad. It was along the freeway on the way to Disneyland from San Diego. Probably a strip mall or condos there now.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM

The thing about acquired tastes is if you find you don't like a food or drink the first time, are you going to keep trying it because you "want to" enjoy the taste? Or are you just going to assume after a few tries that's it's not for you?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
I have a more expensive palette that's for sure! Regular potatoes don't cut it for me anymore; it should be yukon gold, you get the idea.
I am also starting to hate soda.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:46 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
As a kid I used to be able to eat frosting from a can using two fingers and drink chocolate syrup by the can.
Aw man I still do that. Add honey to that list there...

Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
As you age, you supposedly lose up to 75% of your taste buds.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
As you age, you supposedly lose up to 75% of your taste buds.
Do you mean aging from childhood to adulthood or from middle age onwards?

I mean, what then, would be with the notion that as you grow older you have a more discriminating palate? Like for the "wine and cheese" crowd perhaps.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:22 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
not mine. what I loved then, I love now, and what I hated then, I hate now.

my ongoing hate list:
spicy food;
mixed-up stuff-- stews, casseroles, etc.;
yogurt;
sauerkraut;
horrible-tasting green junk, like spinach.

ongoing favorites:
canned spaghetti.

the only thing I hated as a child but developed a taste for is macaroni & cheese, although I usually add eggs, canned chicken, etc., before tossing it in the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink