Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times

Advertisements

I have always refrigerated ketchup after opening. Always Heinz. I was raised by a family of Heinz eaters. My grandfather worked for Heinz, and growing up that's all my dad would allow in our house. I don't personally eat ketchup but my husband and sons would kick me to the curb if I tried to bring anything other Heinz into the house. My sons have certain restaurants that they don't like to eat at because they say that the Heinz bottles on the tables are refilled with some generic cheap stuff. When they were little they hated going to my SIL's because she always had Hunt's or whatever was on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Poor Hunt's ... they do seem "lesser than" in my head too. I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind taste test, but my brain says that Heinz is the best brand, "real" ketchup.

Edited: Yet I don't buy Heinz. I buy Meijer's all-natural ketchup. No HCFS.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-14-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ketchup is the healthiest condiment there is. Cooked tomatoes help prevent both heart disease and cancer. Now we know that Hunt's is healthier than Heinz. And Hunt's is the best tasting tomato ketchup ever made.
This ^ is true! Ketchup is very healthful!

IMO, both ketchup and mustard taste much better at room temperature. No need to refrigerate 'em unless the label specifically tells you to. Most brands don't require refrigeration. Same with stuff like peanut butter and shortening. I have never, ever refrigerated these, and have never had something go rancid in my pantry, even after many months of storage. (I live alone, so it takes me a long time to go through the types of products we're talking about here - a year or more for a large bottle of ketchup or mustard; several months for a jar of peanut butter.)

Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
This ^ is true! Ketchup is very healthful!

IMO, both ketchup and mustard taste much better at room temperature. No need to refrigerate 'em unless the label specifically tells you to. Most brands don't require refrigeration. Same with stuff like peanut butter and shortening. I have never, ever refrigerated these, and have never had something go rancid in my pantry, even after many months of storage. (I live alone, so it takes me a long time to go through the types of products we're talking about here - a year or more for a large bottle of ketchup or mustard; several months for a jar of peanut butter.)
Condiments I always refrigerate but I don't refrigerate refrigerate things like peanut butter or shortening either. I never really crossed my mind to. Mom never did, so I never did. I have had shortening go rancid once, but it was because it had been in my pantry for probably 2 years. I used to have a friend who refrigerated everything, even boxes of cereal. I found that strange.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I love Heinz ketchup-they even make a lower sugar version...it's good

Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All our condiments go in the fridge after opening.
Same here!!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Can ketchup still be good if it doesn't go in the fridge after opening?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All our condiments go in the fridge after opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Same here!!
Yep! here too

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Condiments I always refrigerate but I don't refrigerate refrigerate things like peanut butter or shortening either. I never really crossed my mind to.
Same here. Although, I did work at a restaurant in college and we just left the ketchup bottles on the table. This place has the plastic bottles with the sprout on top. We refilled those from big Heinz bottles.

I was always a whatever's-on-sale type with ketchup until I met DH. His ex was from Pittsburgh, so he insisted on Heinz. Now I do think of Hunt's as the less ketchup. Poor thing. LOL

Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I grew up a couple of miles from where they made Hunt's ketchup and I used to follow the trucks carrying the tomatoes from the field to that factory. Those tomatoes could bounce off the back of the truck, hit the road, get run over by a car and they still would not bust. They would just roll off to the side of the road where they didn't even decompose. (OK. I'm exagerating. A little.)

I'm convinced that natural law did not apply to those tomatoes. Or to the ketchup they eventually became. So I keep it on the shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink