Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

In these times of restriction many supermarkets are just not offering the variety of products that they used to. They stock only top sellers, not wanting to be left with unsold inventory.

The thing is, they have no idea of how many people do not find their favorite products in their store and just switch to shop elsewhere because of this 'clever' marketing decision. People like one stop shopping and like to go to a store where everything is available.

I like Garden of Eden Soy Butter. I drink Silk unsweetened soy milk. My local market stopped stocking those, or order such small quantities that I have to call in advance to ask if they are on the shelves. I just take my business elsewhere (if I can).

I hate having to waste time and money driving all over kingdom come to find the basic stuff that I used to get at one store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Just because YOU like it does not make it a best seller.
Almost all of my friends and relatives who used to buy it swoon when I mention it. And we commiserate over it's demise. Maybe they will reintroduce it someday and you'll "get it".

Took me ten seconds for google to find someone else to add to the praise: "Stouffer's was once the standard but then they discontinued their "short ribs of beef". "

Quote:
Search Results - Products - STOUFFERS (http://www.stouffers.com/Products/ProductSearch.aspx?SearchText=three%20cheese%20chi cken&type=products&filter=fp - broken link)
Bzzzzzt. Wrong product.

Here is the one I'm talking about:

Three Cheese Chicken

I've searched on that website and it's not available anywhere.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post

Here is the one I'm talking about:

Three Cheese Chicken

I've searched on that website and it's not available anywhere.
I've never been able to find that one, I've read about it tho. It's one of their only low carb entrees.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Over the years going back to the 1980's, I've occasionally had the French Bread Pizzas and it might just be me, but it seems the quality is going down.
It's not just you. I use to eat them as well. Now, it taste like something is missing. I stopped eating those years ago.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:50 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It could be that my aunt has started liking them, that's why they stopped making them. I'll have to ask her. Every time she started watching a TV show that I liked -- and she liked it -- they'd cancel it. She jinxes everything. I'm sorry.
I am like that, too! The Typhoid Mary of anything good.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM

As far as Stouffer's, they got bought by Sarah Lee, which also used to be MUCH better. I think it's that companies cheapen and dumb down everything.
I started buying the Pillbury Bake Off cookbooks in the 1960s when they used real ingredients, and I still make some of those recipes today. Now, the contestants are required to make things out of mixes, and they're crap.
Maybe I'm just out of it, but when I was raising my family I used fresh foods and not foods witha bunch of junk fake ingredients in them.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As far as Stouffer's, they got bought by Sarah Lee, which also used to be MUCH better. I think it's that companies cheapen and dumb down everything.
I started buying the Pillbury Bake Off cookbooks in the 1960s when they used real ingredients, and I still make some of those recipes today. Now, the contestants are required to make things out of mixes, and they're crap.
Maybe I'm just out of it, but when I was raising my family I used fresh foods and not foods witha bunch of junk fake ingredients in them.

That is NOT correct. Stouffer's was purchased by Nestle in 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stouffer%27s

Pillsbury owns Green Giant.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
I don't bother with Stouffer or any of the frozen food "dinners" anymore. They're not enough to satisfy me and they cost too much money. I'd maybe get a chicken pot pie if they were on sale....they're so overpriced now.
I've been cooking good meals at home, saving money while doing so and enjoying it much, much more than the frozen meals. My favorite part is the leftovers - which you don't get with a frozen dinner either.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
That is NOT correct. Stouffer's was purchased by Nestle in 1973.

Stouffer's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pillsbury owns Green Giant.
Actually, Sara Lee owns Nestle, which owns Stouffers.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Actually, Sara Lee owns Nestle, which owns Stouffers.
That is crazy.

Nestle's is based in Switzerland and one of the largest food manufactuers in the world.

Sara Lee is an independent Chicago based manufacturers that is tiny in comparison. to Nestle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink