Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times

Advertisements

Is the advertising? Convenience? Because people crave Big Macs?

I am just curious, because I pass four McDonald's locations on my way to and from work and each location is always busy. Three of the restaurants have double drive thru lanes, and the lines get so long that they back up to the street.

Several of my coworkers come in to work every single morning carrying a McDonald's sack and a cup of coffee. At lunchtime the same people head to McDonald's for a sandwich and fries. The trash cans at our office are full of McDonald's bags and cups.

It's not because McDonald's is the only restaurant available. Near each McDonald's location is a Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's and Taco Bell. Besides these fast food restaurants there are also sandwich shops like Jimmy Johns, Blimpie and Quiznos. Qdoba, Chipotle, and Penn Station are also nearby.

I don't eat fast food but I notice when I drive past that Burger King and Wendy's are usually empty. The prices seem similar, and all have sandwiches and fries.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Cheap food for people too busy or too lazy to cook.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree, but aren't Wendy's and Burger King just as cheap?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
What makes you think that Wendy's and Burger King are more expensive? Also, no Wendy's or Burger King that I've ever seen requires the patrons to cook. I don't see your logic here.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM

216 posts, read 314,116 times
Consistency. Mcdonald's has a massive, finely tuned logistical machine to ensure that their food tastes exactly the same whether the store is in Boston or Beijing. Many people like knowing that what they're eating today tastes exactly the same as what they ate yesterday, or the day before.

Cheapness. Calorie-wise, there's no food more cost efficient than the Mcdonald's value menu, unless you're counting ridiculous options like drinking straight vegetable oil or something. The $1 Mcdouble probably has the best cost/calorie ratio of any food in human history.

Childhood imprinting. We tend to seek out the tastes of childhood, even if those tastes are not objectively good. Why else do you think McDonalds markets the Happy Meal so aggressively? If you tasted the Mcnugget as an adult, having never had one before, I doubt you would want another one.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
because it is fast and cheap and there are so many all over the place.

i can count on 1 hand how many times I've eat at McDonald's and I have 4 children. Today DH was on a mission to find a take home breakfast in a hurry and he brought home McDonalds sausage biscuits. Nobody here would eat the meat. It was yellow and did not look like sausage at all. Truly was Mystery Meat!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
This is a part of the equation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
Consistency. Mcdonald's has a massive, finely tuned logistical machine to ensure that their food tastes exactly the same whether the store is in Boston or Beijing. Many people like knowing that what they're eating today tastes exactly the same as what they ate yesterday, or the day before.

Cheapness. Calorie-wise, there's no food more cost efficient than the Mcdonald's value menu, unless you're counting ridiculous options like drinking straight vegetable oil or something. The $1 Mcdouble probably has the best cost/calorie ratio of any food in human history.

Childhood imprinting. We tend to seek out the tastes of childhood, even if those tastes are not objectively good. Why else do you think McDonalds markets the Happy Meal so aggressively? If you tasted the Mcnugget as an adult, having never had one before, I doubt you would want another one.
But this is the major part of it, and the final paragraph is the kicker. They kids meals imprint into kids, lazy parents keep going back because the kids meals and play areas shut their kids up, and when those kids grow to adults it is now something that they have grown up with and is an ingrained thing in them.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,667,194 times
McDonalds tastes better, the coffee is $1 for a large, the value menu is better and the fries taste better than any other fast food...... and because they put crack in the food so you keep coming back for more.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What makes you think that Wendy's and Burger King are more expensive? Also, no Wendy's or Burger King that I've ever seen requires the patrons to cook. I don't see your logic here.
I didn't say that those people go exclusively to McDonald. They usually go to most if not all other chains too, but maybe they prefer McD because of their menu? Or free Wi-Fi? Or nicer interior?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
People eat mc Donald's every day, twice a day? Ick
How do they even function?

It's popular for all the reasons pointed out already.
Cheap n easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.