Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,111,199 times

Advertisements

Melitta 102 cone. Have used many other methods including drip and percolator but always go back to the Melitta. It makes good coffee and has no moving parts to break or lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:09 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,969,915 times
I liked the real old style percolator that had the small glass in the middle of the lid. As the color changed you knew the coffee was done. My mother had one for ages that never died after many years of use. Don't see them around anymore.

Recall she would add Chicory (sp) to the coffee grounds....don't see that anymore also.

Those days there was just coffee and not the different grinds of later years.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,617,287 times
They're both below the standard of espresso or instant.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 AM

68,360 posts, read 54,566,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I liked the real old style percolator that had the small glass in the middle of the lid. As the color changed you knew the coffee was done. My mother had one for ages that never died after many years of use. Don't see them around anymore.
My Mom had one with the glass, I used to love the sound and aroma.

Quote:
Recall she would add Chicory (sp) to the coffee grounds....don't see that anymore also.

I've been drinking coffee with chicory for many years, if you want to try it look in the market for the Café du Monde, French Market, or Luzianne brands. I used to mail order from Louisiana but found a local Asian/Hispanic market that sells Café du Monde very reasonably.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,033,836 times
Quote:

Chicory is used to combat the bitterness. Just use a French press and avoid bitterness entirely.

PS -- Incidentally the "removed image" from the previous page is a La Pavoni Europiccola. If you're going to make espresso, that's the machine to learn on. If you can use that machine, you have the keys to the espresso kingdom.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM

274 posts, read 253,726 times
I use a drip coffee maker purely for convenience. Growing up we always had perked coffee in our house. When I moved out on my own I used a percolator for several years, then we got a drip machine as a wedding gift. I started using it (missusjimmy doesn't drink coffee), and again, speed and convenience of drip can't be beat. But I miss the sound and aroma of the percolator, and the bold and (slightly) bitter flavor.

I think even drip coffee makers for the home are going to be harder to find, what with the K-cups and other systems taking over. I also seem to run into a lot of the 18-years-and-up crowd who don't drink coffee, but prefer "energy drinks". At first I thought this might herald the demise of morning coffee,but the lines at any c-store, DD, Tim's, Starbucks, etc every morning do not support my hypothesis.

The drip maker I covet is the 2-burner commercial Bunn-O-Matic. Last I checked still about $180 at used restaurant equipment suppliers.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,218,900 times
Real coffee is percolated, on a stove (preferably gas which you can acutely regulate) and allowed to perk until the coffee has enough time, and enough adequately heated water to actually extract the good stuff. Drip coffee is like kool aid, and electric percolators quit perking too soon.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

997 posts, read 941,565 times
I use a Melitta pour over system that is supposed to fit on a carafe, but I brew my coffee in a jar and refrigerate it. I prefer my coffee iced rather then hot.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,572,660 times
I don't have the patience for perked and find it too weak anyways. With my drip, I can add as much coffee as I like (spoon stands up) and can pour half a cup right away with the drip-stop, which I do every morning.

Some people say strong coffee is bitter. Nope! not if you get the right kind (Arabic medium blend wins hands down with any other kind IMO)

Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,834,878 times
For years it was Mr Coffee drip and I often ground the beans myself. Then I went to an electric perc, ground my own beans and preferred it over drip. Now I have gone to Keurig and love it, especially the varieties available. My first in the morning is always strong then I go flavored for the next two.

Sticking with the Keurig for the variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink