U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 9,140,439 times

Advertisements

The percolator M&P used would turn out excellent coffee from the cheap Folgers, Maxwell House, etc. These now do not taste as refined with a drip coffee maker. Well, maybe the quality of cheap coffee has gotten worse....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 12:47 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,549,925 times
Been using an oxo drip coffee maker. I love it. Heats the water to the right temp and brews it correctly.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM

110 posts, read 97,778 times
I use the Ninja Coffee Bar, only reason I purchased it is because their blender is the best one I have ever used so I figured why not. Honestly, I love it. Plus I love that I am able to brew drinks over ice. It makes it easy for when I want something cold in the morning and don't want to fork over $5 to a coffee shop. It also includes a handy book which tells you a bunch of different drinks that you can brew with it.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 AM

6,943 posts, read 20,881,853 times
Arabic coffee gets my vote also.

I gave away a nice old electric Chrome/Stainless Percolator and retained my Mr Coffee (big mistake). I generally drink just one cup in the morning so the nice Chrome unit was collecting dust so I gave it away.

Mr Coffee is old and I would love to have the very old style metal Percolator of yesteryear that had the small glass in the lid showing the color of the coffee as it brewed when on the stove.

May have to stop at the VA surplus outlet and have a look see.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 AM

619 posts, read 503,955 times
French press. I've been using it for about twenty years. The better (more expensive) ones last for a long time. I think I am on my third bodum. I use it for hot coffee and for cold brew.

I buy beans at whole foods and grind them there. I know, I know, I'm supposed to grind enough for one serving just before I make it...

One of these days I'm going to buy an espresso maker (stove top).

Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM

447 posts, read 593,342 times
i use drip mr coffee style my grandfather used a percolator and its fine i guess id love an espresso machine as well but typically just buy espresso grounds and run through the drip

Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 AM

20,407 posts, read 20,549,888 times
I love drip.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 AM

18,675 posts, read 9,937,866 times
Stove top perc coffee for a multitude of reasons and almost if not all of them have nothing to do with taste.

The capstone was when I found that the counter top appliances were prime targets for pests. That pretty quickly turned me off from most appliances although admittedly, I have returned to microwaves and I still have my juicer (hasn't been in use for over a year or more, though).

There's the waste of the drip maker, from tossing so many into the trash to trying to figure out what to do with the leftover carafe. Vinegar maintenance would also be another. Add to that having to buy another one that usually shared nothing with the previous, from the kind of filters it used to the carafe to where it would fit on the counter.

There is something of a desire to be more simple in some of my cooking ways. My house will have electricity but the stove will be gas. That way, if I lose power, the generator can be focused on the "cold boxes" and basic lights and I can still make coffee and cook.

I use the camping coffee pots on the stove top and have adjusted my taste to be accepting of the perc coffee, a mug and a half I am drinking right now. I don't use filters anymore but just put the coffee directly into the basket. One day, perhaps, I will learn how to make "cowboy coffee"; hence, grounds in the coffee is just something one handles.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:51 AM

455 posts, read 410,895 times
Due to GERD (heartburn) I've switched to cold-brewed coffee. I'm pretty sure i saw my first reference to it about a month ago in this thread. Whoever turned me on to it. Thank you. The tast is smooth and I can drink coffee with no problem at all. Yesterday, I had a breakfast meeting at a restaurant and then another at a coffee shop. My heartburn rose up to greet me later in the day.

I did start drinking coffee using an electric percolator and would probably use one now if I didn't have to cold brew. But I can live with that, in fact, the coffee tastes better.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM

8,927 posts, read 5,019,722 times
I tried using a percolator once. I like the coffee but it is too much hassle for me. Drip is easier and I’m used to it. Had a keurig for a year and it broke. The coffee was ok but I do like the Drip better. The vacuum pot seems like it takes up lots of space in the kitchen. Never had that coffee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink