Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,722,440 times

Advertisements

Between those two, percolator.

Of late, I've been getting the best coffee out of a pourover.

Automatic drip is bottom of the barrel, for me. It typically does not brew the coffee at the right temp, or keep it at optimal temp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM

1,397 posts, read 631,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I remember when I was a child my parents only drank Percolated Coffee; the aroma would fill the entire house, enticing me to get up early and it had a robust flavor.

As the years went by most everyone has switched to the Drip Coffee method; which appears to be more convenient and some people say tastes less bitter.

However after buying my upteenth Drip Coffee maker I have had it. Usually within in less than a year; they leak and or the heating element burns out.

I decided to try a Percolator once again, but could not find one in a store. I searched online and finally found what appeared to be a good model at a reasonable price.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! The Drip method produces a rather light colored and weak cup of coffee. The Percolator method produced a dark and flavorful cup....I'm just thrilled....it's like discovering coffee all over again...just delicious.

I do not find the coffee bitter at all and think that Percolated coffee is far superior to Drip coffee. Plus we just cut a little hole in a regular coffee filter to keep grounds out of the brew and facilitate cleaning.

Anyone else had it with Drip coffee makers breaking so fast and producing a rather bland brew????? I have and realize....sometimes the "old ways" of doing things are better than the "new ways". Also the coffee stays hotter much longer when percolated and takes the same amount of time to brew. Let me add...buy a stainless steel Percolator coffee maker, so there are no metallic tastes within the coffee.

Drip brew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coffee percolator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drink espresso and have the simple Bialetti stove top espresso maker. I find more authentic and delicious than the espresso on those pods machines like the DeLonghi or Nespresso

Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,934,660 times
Just bought a new stainless steel percolator.

First morning, first cup today.
Wonderful aroma... very hot, rich, flavorful using Starbucks Sumatra. Used a paper filter to change errant coffee grounds.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,401,250 times
Husband surprised me this week with a Smart coffee maker. It's long been my wish to start my coffee while I'm still in bed or at least before I get downstairs to start the pot in the morning. Today was the first day using it. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve to get the water/grounds/temperature ratio just right. I already love the stainless steel carafe: four hours later and the last of the coffee is still hot.

Setting the timer on the old coffee maker doesn't work with my lifestyle. I wake up at different times daily with no set schedule. The only time I can accurately predict when I want my coffee is if I have a morning meeting scheduled. Even then I often wake up earlier.

This is the pot: Behmor – Passion for All Things Coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Been using coffee percolators for over 30 years, and had tried other various coffee machines.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,799,240 times
Percolator coffee makes superior brew tastes. Almost all coffee shops that serve percolator coffee gets good reviews over drip. But, if you don't clean the percolator often it leaves an after taste.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,271,176 times
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6073192...QaApb_EALw_wcB

I had a very similar percolator to this in the early seventies, i don’t know if I bought it, or if it was a wedding gift. I remember people saying that I made good coffee when I used it, though. I think I ultimately broke it, and moved on. I think we bought a Mr. Coffee fairly soon after they came out, and we’ve used these kind of machines ever since. The best ones have been from Cuisinart.

I cannot say that I prefer perked coffee. I really do like coffee that has been dripped over grounds or pressed. But we drink too much for those methods to be feasible for us. A drip machine works well for us.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,969,915 times
I bought a drip coffee maker a while back. Taste was so so until I would pour two cups of the completed coffee back over the grounds and
coffee tasted stronger.
Also noticed that the 2nd cup tasted better after sitting a while in the maker...like being Aged.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 10-14-2018 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM

7,158 posts, read 12,717,987 times
We use the most basic Mr. Coffee-type machine with a gold mesh filter...works fine, makes a good cup of coffee. No bells or whistles, no little K cups to throw away...

Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,094,387 times
French Press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink