U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
 
16,755 posts, read 36,277,049 times
Reputation: 22191

Advertisements

This thread has inspired me to use my sweet vintage vac-pot more regularly. Honestly, I don't think the quality of the coffee can be beat - makes a rich but clean-tasting brew. I can't believe this 75 year old pot still works as well as when new! And once you are in the rhythm of using it, it's not really much more hassle at all. I grind my own beans just before as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,395 posts, read 21,523,168 times
Reputation: 11116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This thread has inspired me to use my sweet vintage vac-pot more regularly. Honestly, I don't think the quality of the coffee can be beat - makes a rich but clean-tasting brew. I can't believe this 75 year old pot still works as well as when new! And once you are in the rhythm of using it, it's not really much more hassle at all. I grind my own beans just before as well.
I'll have to research more on vacuum brewing. But I think that in many instances the older ways of doing some things, that are tried and true, are actually better and more efficient than more modern tecniques and appliances.

As you mention, vacuum pots still functioning after over a half century...it seems many percolators last 10 years or more...yet we mostly all agree that the majority of drip brewers last a year, if you're lucky. It appears we let new marketing campaigns influence our "better judgement"..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,801 posts, read 37,730,284 times
Reputation: 17552
My Bunn Pour-O-Matic is 12 years old. The one it replaced was 24 years old, and it didn't break... it was lost in a move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 AM
 
1,963 posts, read 5,298,549 times
Reputation: 1642
My late grandma used to make coffee in her old Sunbeam vacpot. I haven't tasted it in a dozen or so years but iirc it was similar to percolated but not as burnt or bitter. However, it's still much more extracted than drip. My dad grew up on it & adores vacuum brews and it kick-started his lifelong love-affair with espresso.... but me not so much.

I picked up a Krups Moka drip machine a few months ago and it makes a good brew, using steam & low pressure to force the water through the grinds. Coffee is very smooth & balanced but somewhat light in body. I think it works best with lighter roasts where you want to enjoy subtlety & precision of flavors, rather than smoke & oil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 AM
 
Location: texas
3,094 posts, read 3,562,840 times
Reputation: 1765
I'll take my drip, until I find a better method.....Percs are fine, but drip is better(for my tastes).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,395 posts, read 21,523,168 times
Reputation: 11116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My Bunn Pour-O-Matic is 12 years old. The one it replaced was 24 years old, and it didn't break... it was lost in a move.
You're either lucky or found the one good brand...I've tried over ten different brands of drip machines....all broke rather quickly....less than a year..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,395 posts, read 21,523,168 times
Reputation: 11116
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
My late grandma used to make coffee in her old Sunbeam vacpot. I haven't tasted it in a dozen or so years but iirc it was similar to percolated but not as burnt or bitter. However, it's still much more extracted than drip. My dad grew up on it & adores vacuum brews and it kick-started his lifelong love-affair with espresso.... but me not so much.

I picked up a Krups Moka drip machine a few months ago and it makes a good brew, using steam & low pressure to force the water through the grinds. Coffee is very smooth & balanced but somewhat light in body. I think it works best with lighter roasts where you want to enjoy subtlety & precision of flavors, rather than smoke & oil.
I fail to understand where percolators......make burnt or bitter coffee...I keep reading about it BUT...my coffee never burns and is not bitter...it has flavor and depth...unlike drip lukewarm coffee....with no color or flavor...may as well drink hot water with a small drop of food coloring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 4,059,484 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I fail to understand where percolators......make burnt or bitter coffee...I keep reading about it BUT...my coffee never burns and is not bitter...it has flavor and depth...unlike drip lukewarm coffee....with no color or flavor...may as well drink hot water with a small drop of food coloring.
The percolator will make bitter coffee if it is allowed to get too hot during the process. Electric percolators avoid this. The ideal brewing temp is around 200°F (at or about sea level, LOL). I disagree with the person who said earlier that tea should be made with boiling water. The water should boil, then cool slightly before brewing the tea, otherwise you will cook the tea.

I use a french press. I got tired of replacing drip brewers, like others here. That included a couple of Bunns. With the french press, there are no moving parts (except for the press itself, which is a simple manual slide), no tiny little plastic tubes, nothing to go wrong with it, and excellent quality. It's also pretty quick and simple to use, and cleanup is easy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,196 posts, read 6,029,617 times
Reputation: 12265
I have had my mr coffee for about 10 years.. 99% of the time I drink folgers instant anyway but every once in awhile i'll make 12 cups of regular coffee and drink the whole darned thing...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 4,059,484 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I have had my mr coffee for about 10 years.. 99% of the time I drink folgers instant anyway but every once in awhile i'll make 12 cups of regular coffee and drink the whole darned thing...
And then bounce off the walls for about 4 hours?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top