Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

Yes, get a little cooler-type with the freezer pack!

I like stuff I can nosh on as I surf the net at my desk, taking a break from my usual computer tasks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Do you have a microwave at work? If so the sky is the limit on what you can pack for lunch.

I always pack my breakfast and lunch. Typical day:
-Fruit
-kashi bar
-A Main entre' (Usually it's salad, but sometimes soup, leftovers from the night before, tuna and crackers..etc)
-Raw veggies (cherry tomatoes, broccoli, green beans, carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, peppers..)
-Nuts or pretzels or some other kind of dry snack.

Now...I typically eat the fruit and kashi bar shortly after I arrive at work because I don't eat breakfast at home. Lunch is typically the main entre and veggies and the nuts are for right around 4:30 or so when I'm getting hungry again, this usually prevents hunger so I don't go searching for crap-food when I get home from work.

Salad in a jar is easy...make it on Sunday night for the week and it will still taste fresh come Friday (don't put the dressing in until you are ready to eat it):

Last edited by *Sixy*; 08-09-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
I take pasta in a box sometimes and heat it up in a microwave.. it is yummy!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I frequently make extra for dinner so that there are leftovers to take for lunch.

I love cold meatloaf sandwiches!

When I make chicken for dinner, I chop up the leftovers and add them to salad, just like they serve at Wendy's only mine is homemade.

The main things to remember are to plan ahead (think about what leftovers are good for lunches when you shop for the weekly meals) and make as much of your lunch the night before as you can for easier mornings. If you take a thermos/lunch bag, make sure you bring those into the kitchen and clean them so they are ready to be packed. I generally do day prep about 8 pm. I stop whatever I'm doing and make lunch, lay out clothing, and supplies for the next day.

Maybe you have more time in the mornings. I like to sleep as late as possible. (:

Tip: have some frozen lunches (Healthy Choice Café Steamers are good) on hand for days when something happens where there is no time to fix lunch. You can grab one of those out of the freezer along with some plastic ware, and you're good to go. I'm frugal, so I don't eat them every day, but they are good to have for emergencies or something different. I'm assuming you have access to a microwave at work . . .

Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
If you have a fridge at work, don't worry about anything. If you don't, get one of those little insulated lunch boxes. I like the soft kind, they're lighter to tote around. And I agree if it will be sitting out somewhere hot, put an ice pack in. I'd get one of the soft ice packs, as they're more maleable and easier to fit around stuff than the hard plastic kind.

Something easy to fix ahead of time for the whole week is hard boiled eggs. I used to put mine in cold water on the stove, turn the heat up and set the timer for 15 minutes. That way you don't have to watch to see when it boils, to then time if from when they start boiling.

Get one of those cheap salt & pepper shakers that are in one shaker (pepper on one side, salt on the other) at the grocery store that are already full of salt and pepper. And keep it in your lunch pail. I used to keep plastic silverware in my desk.

Another easy thing I used to watch for on sale are lunchables. They're a good little snacky kind of thing to be able to just throw into your pail. If you watch the sales, you can get them pretty cheap.

Yogurt is another one you can just throw into your pail.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Be thoughtful when you use a microwave in the office. Some foods are stinkier than others and have a longer-lasting aftersmell. Your co-workers may not care for the lingering odor of BBQ smoke flavor, curry, fish, to name a few pungent comestibles.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:33 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I find that tuna or cold cuts are the easiest to use to make sandwiches to go. One can add mayonnaise/mustard, lettuce, tomato, cucumber/pickle according to one's individual taste.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
SO insists on taking lunch. Juice, a cookie, fruit or fruit cup, lunch size helping of something that microwaves easily and does only require limited cutting (pasta/ragu, chili, stir fry, fajitas, ...), small salad.
I cook and freeze lunches and pack his bag at night.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Be thoughtful when you use a microwave in the office. Some foods are stinkier than others and have a longer-lasting aftersmell. Your co-workers may not care for the lingering odor of BBQ smoke flavor, curry, fish, to name a few pungent comestibles.
Oh god I hate when people cook fish in the microwave!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I like leftovers.

Sometimes I'll make "Adult lunchables" and get nice cheese, nice meat, maybe some olives, some chopped veggies, nuts, and crackers to make my lunch. It is pretty easy.

I used to do wraps or pitas with hummus, roast beef, arugula or spinach, roasted peppers and maybe a cucumber. Turkey was a good choice as well.

At the moment I am liking classy ham and cheese: rosemary ham, aged gouda, brie or similar, and dijon mustard on a baguette! Feels very french bakery.

Or I just make a big salad like dish with quinoa. And add different sides. Maybe a kale salad. Maybe a regular salad. Tomatoes. Whatever is floating around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink