Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times

Advertisements

Tee - Thank you. Since we may appreciate similar flavors, I'll check out the Dale.

LC - Thank you for so much the marinade lesson. I actually enjoy the hows & whys along with technique, as I'm one of those "need to know why" people. And, it's good to know about timing, as anyone who's ever had food poisoning will agree.

I particularly find the pounding info helpful, as well, as I've done it, but never knew why I was doing it other than, for that particular dish, I saw others do it before. Perhaps we both need a life... or a skirt steak to pound...

Thank you... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,235 times
u are so welcome..one thing i like the dale is if i forget to marinate for a couple of hours this stuff u can use like 30min before now(NOT on LB) and it does wonderful..

Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedTee View Post
u are so welcome..one thing i like the dale is if i forget to marinate for a couple of hours this stuff u can use like 30min before now(NOT on LB) and it does wonderful..
Thank you. I found Dale online. I never heard of it & it's found mostly down south but you can order it in mega quantities only online. Hopefully, I can find it locally as I don't need 20-bottles of anything... LOL

Have fun... VV

Old 09-19-2007, 05:23 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,235 times
Walmart has it in their aisle with all the steak sauces...........

Not saying this is the BEST out there..It works for me and I love it..I have never came across any homemade marinades that did me justice..again these were ones I was making..I'm sure there are wonderful marinades out there.....i have very tender and tasteful meat out in restaurants..but MINE never tasted the same............

Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:

Not saying this is the BEST out there..It works for me and I love it..I have never came across any homemade marinades that did me justice..again these were ones I was making..I'm sure there are wonderful marinades out there.....i have very tender and tasteful meat out in restaurants..but MINE never tasted the same............
Many meats in restaurants take advantage of time delay to make the meat taste better. What I mean is many products cooked for restaurants are fully cooked or partially cooked beforehand. When the products are finished cooked or recooked, many products taste better. And the complementary sauces, browns, tomato, veloute have time, sitting in the bain marie or on the fire to develop flavor.

At home you produce a product for a meal, it does not have the time to develop taste. A good example would be meatloaf---It always taste better the next day after it has been chilled, it firms and the flavor develops. The same goes for chili, stews, most braised dishes and most barbecues.

In addition restaurants can use much higher heat to carmelize, use more salt and more fat. A good example would be to finish a steak with a dab of compound butter before service. And think of the time it gets to the table- roast and grilled meats are juicier when they stand before cutting. Most people at home can't wait to eat.

MSG is now making a resurgence in restaurants. It is believed that the this product harm is over exaggerated and I agree . New style cooks are using the old original Japanese term umami. Also the glutamates effect are also part of soy sauces which are used in many marinades. Commercial Meat bases and stocks are manufactured to have the same effect and are commonly used in restaurants. This has a stimulating effect on taste. I really do not want to get into a discussion about MSG because there is too many erroneous opinions that I do not care to challenge.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Hi Tee -

Thank you. There are no Walmart's in Boston, but if it's there perhaps Target has it, too? I've never been to Target, but it's 1-mi away & I hear has a Starbucks, so I think I won't leave empty-handed! Now that I know what the bottle looks like, I'll find it if it's around these parts! Thanks again for sharing.

LC -

Nothing to add except to say I really appreciate you & the pro chefs sharing your knowledge here. I love to cook, as it appears many here do & I know I don't speak alone is saying I'm loving the lessons learned by all of you who so willingly taking the time to offer "insider info".

I've just ventured into the Food forum, but will return often to see what's cookin'... Yuk, yuk, yuk... (Couldn't help myself!)

Have a great week, all... VV

Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Hi everyone, just revisiting this thread with a question regarding how to pan fry a flank steak that was meant to be London Broil? It's about 2.25 lbs, very thick, and I've had it marinating overnight. I don't have a grill, and my broiler is broken. Any ideas? Has anyone pan-fried a thick cut of steak, ideas on what temp and for how long? Any advice is greatly appreciated, it's supposed to be tonight's (late) dinner!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
Default London broil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Alton Brown did an episode on London Broil, from marinating to slicing, on his show "Good Eats" not too long ago.
I'll look it up & get back to you!

Can't find that show, but on the Food Network site, type in London Broil. They even have a video on how to slice meat agianst the grain! Good Luck!
BTW The Alton Brown was Good Eats - S07E07 - Raising The Steaks

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I learned at The Culinary Institute of America, where I graduated that London Broil is flank that is broiled. On all menus that I saw when I worked in NYC over 30 yrs. ago---London Broil was always flank that is at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, The Plaza Hotel, Lutece etc. At that time many of the kitchens were staffed with classically trained European Chefs. Flank is not taken off the hind quarter--it is flank and comes from the belly (rectus abdominus is the muscle).
London Broil is a descriptive term of a dish, broiled marinated flank, not a way of cooking.

I do see Top Round Described as London Broil but this is possibly only the evolution of the name because of the limited supply of flank and Top Round (Inside Round) was used as a poor substitute. It is not the same or equivalent in quality. I have never seen bottom round (outside round) used as substitute for "London Broil" as this muscle is tougher and needs to be braised to tenderize. However as cooking and language do evolve, the word "London Broil" meaning may be changing in common usage and the original meaning may lost.

As for cooking flank steak: it lends itself to a good oil and acid marinade, Quicky and broiled rare. It should stand for 5 minutes to allow the juices to stabilize and cut thinly across the grain. It is traditionally served with a bernaise sauce or a brown sauce (espanol.)
Agree completely.

I am tired of seeing BOTTOM AND TOP ROUND STEAKS, less tender cuts, marketed as London Broil. That meat is so tough and difficult to eat. And how it is generally cut makes it a lot worse.

Where I disagee with you is the motive. Flank steaks are available wholesale and are expensive. A Top round roast is $2.49. When it is cut and labeled as London Broil, it goes for $3.99-4.49, a much higher margin.

What ticks me off is someone watches Alton Brown prepare the dish like you would. They run down to the big supermarkets (Albertsons, Krogers, and Supervalu) and buy the mislabeled product. When they take it home, it is garbage and they blame AB or their own lack of talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink