Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

absolutely unless something unusual happens. Tomorrow we go to our monthly neighborhood breakfast and I will not pay $2.50 for a glass of juice so that will be the exception, but breakfast is always juice and usually fruit as well. Lunch, sometimes cut up fruit but always lettuce on a sandwich, tomatoes, or a salad period. and dinner we have a green veggie every night or salad. Tonight we had bok choy and fruit salad plus our chicken dish had green onions, bell peppers and spinach in it. I was raised in So CA where veggies grow wild and we had almost every kind of fruit tree one could imagine. I though avocados was something everyone ate almost daily...Thus fruit and veggies were part of our world. We may eat too many sauces, I might cook with too much butter, but I can assure everyone, we get more than our share of fresh everything, winter or summer. I remember years ago, while we still lived in VA, a good friend told me, no matter how many years past, if someone mentioned my name the first words she would use to describe me was, even in the winter she always served fresh veggies for every meal..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
V8 is crap.

To answer the op, no. Given that my breakfast is usually a protein shake, there is no fruit and veg in that meal.

I do, however, have fruits and veggies everyday ( mostly veg, as fruit is sugar + more sugar...fruit juice is all the crap from fruit without the fiber...again, a poor choice).

Just not till my later meals.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
absolutely unless something unusual happens. Tomorrow we go to our monthly neighborhood breakfast and I will not pay $2.50 for a glass of juice so that will be the exception, but breakfast is always juice and usually fruit as well. Lunch, sometimes cut up fruit but always lettuce on a sandwich, tomatoes, or a salad period. and dinner we have a green veggie every night or salad. Tonight we had bok choy and fruit salad plus our chicken dish had green onions, bell peppers and spinach in it. I was raised in So CA where veggies grow wild and we had almost every kind of fruit tree one could imagine. I though avocados was something everyone ate almost daily...Thus fruit and veggies were part of our world. We may eat too many sauces, I might cook with too much butter, but I can assure everyone, we get more than our share of fresh everything, winter or summer. I remember years ago, while we still lived in VA, a good friend told me, no matter how many years past, if someone mentioned my name the first words she would use to describe me was, even in the winter she always served fresh veggies for every meal..
Same here; I grew up mostly in the Mediterranean and Middle East, then lived in the western US...I was raised and used to eating a plant and legume-based diet with meat, fish and dairy as an aside and with very little processed foods.

To this day it's how I prefer to eat but now that I live in the Midwest I get teased about "eating like a hippie". Oh well!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
I try to make sure we have fruits OR veggies at every meal, but I am nit successful all the time.
With breakfast, I almost always have a banana and some type of other fresh fruit for my kids. ( they don't like bananas), cutup pears or cantalope- just depends on season.
Lunch is my least favorite meal, but when I do eat it, I may have yogurt w/ blueberries or a salad of some type.
My kids always have some type of fruit w/ their lunch, rarely a vegetable!
Dinner we always have a vegetable, sometimes feesh ( more so in Summer...), we do like some of those Birds Eye steam fresh veggies.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Most of the time I eat breakfast I have some fruit or OJ or V8 juice with it. Most of the time I'll have a salad with my lunch. It might be a spinach salad, mixed greens, a Greek salad, or a cucumber/tomato salad. Sometimes I will have a snack in the afternoon and it's fruit. It could be a banana, cantaloupe, mango, grapes or some other melon. Dinner I almost always have a large serving of a vegetable. It could be a salad of some sort, greens, green beans, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, or squash. All in all I'm getting my fair share of fruits and veggies. Btw, I don't meat everyday.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:03 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
I prefer vegetables to meat, and so in most meals they predominate. I don't eat a whole lot of fresh fruit though, guess I don't tend to snack much between larger meals.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 AM

101 posts, read 32,818 times
Yes as a part of diet program I am eating more fruits and vegetables daily with out having any snacks.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,194 times
Do You Eat Fruits & Veggies With Every Meal?

Morning meal I have a fruit drink, no veggie
middle day meal which is my lunch/dinner I definitely try to make sure there is veggies, not necessarily fruit
I don't tend to have both fruit & veggies with all meals.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I try to. Like yesterday I ate a pear and an apple, for dinner is was mostly veggies, a salad and a corn casserole. I awlays have at least 2 veggies with dinner and 1 fruit during the day and that's a banana with my yogurt.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
V8 is crap.

To answer the op, no. Given that my breakfast is usually a protein shake, there is no fruit and veg in that meal.

I do, however, have fruits and veggies everyday ( mostly veg, as fruit is sugar + more sugar...fruit juice is all the crap from fruit without the fiber...again, a poor choice).

Just not till my later meals.
not all fruits are pure sugar: berries for instance are not. Some melons are not and we can't totally refrain from eating fruit. It has a lot of benefits with or without the sugar content. I agree with you on juices, but not as strongly as you are putting it. When there is a choice, obviously the fruit in it's natural state is better, but if the choice is fruit juice or no fruit the juice will work. Plus don't forget Avocados and tomatoes are fruits. They are not loaded with sugar and both are at the top of most charts for healthy eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink