Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

... good restaurant address...
I am not going to fool around with turkey, all the trimmings, appetizers, salads, and sweets for... 2 people.
I will get a bigger selection of different things to eat when I go out.
And... honestly - I don't like turkey ( turkey for Thanksgiving, turkey for X-Mas, turkey for Easter... blah.. blah... blah, so, sooooooo boring!). So we try to choose a restaurant that serve different kind of food - and I love game! not easy to find, though. Most places has the same traditional menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Roasting inside a sealed paper sack at 325°. No stuffing whatsoever, mainly because nobody in the family likes the soft, gooey stuffing from inside the bird. We like it baked in its own pans.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I brine my turkey using an old recipe I got from Alton Brown many years ago. I stuff the cavity with veggies and spices to give the bird more flavor and then rub with butter to help with brownin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
In a word: brining. Use equal amounts of kosher salt and sugar and brine for at least 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Absolutely brining, I also add sliced lemons to the K. salt, brown sugar mixture and keep refrigerated, covered overnight. Before roasting, I cover the entire bird with Mayonnaise, this keeps the bird moist and golden brown. I make a ground sausage, beef and bread stuffing---delicious.
Brining -I totally agree- soo juicy. Even though this year it will be only DH & I- Will brine-most likely just a turkey breast!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
I love to put the stuffing inside the bird. I don't do it anymore because after I got married my husband and I had a huge war over it. I guess he thought I was going to kill everyone.

Next time I visit my mom I'm going to stuff a small turkey just for the two of us.

And yes, brining is key to a juicy turkey. I throw some lemons and booze in the brine too, usually vodka or gin.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Brining using apple cider, allspice stars, and other types of spices. Don't like stuffing so I usually put onions, carrots, and celery in its place.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
The turkey which I prepared two years ago I got fresh free range organic blah blah blah.

I didn't brine it but might like to try it this time.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
plenty of Football and Beer beforehand.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
There is absolutely no need to brine a turkey. The key is to slow roast it and pull it our when the internal temperature hits 165F, no more.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I brine my turkey using an old recipe I got from Alton Brown many years ago. I stuff the cavity with veggies and spices to give the bird more flavor and then rub with butter to help with browning.

I'm southern so you know I serve up cornbread dressing.
In addition to putting the butter on top, I also put pats of it under the breast skin along with some lemon or orange juice and salt and pepper. It adds so much flavor. Yum!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Unfortunately it is difficult to find a brown paper bag that isn't recycled paper...BUT, if you can...
The absolutely BEST turkey is prepped by soaking in brine, rub in spices, add onion, garlic and celery to the cavity rub the outside of the turkey liberally in Olive oil and place in the brown paper bag in the roasting pan. Roll the edge of the bag a couple times and staple shut. DO NOT OPEN IT...Cook per pound as recommended. It will self baste and brown beautifully. The meat will be tender and juicy and AWESOME!!! THE BEST TURKEY EVER!!! Once you do it in the brown bag, you'll never go back to any other method. (IF you can find a non-recycled brown paper bag these days)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink