Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Almost any time someone tells me about the great new pizzeria in their town, I roll my eyes, knowing that there's a 90% chance it's another in the seemingly endless string of neapolitan pizza joints. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the move to better ingredients, but I'm more impressed by masterful recipes. Neapolitan pizzerias remind me of the sort of farm-to-table restaurant that prides itsef on the sourcing of its ingredients, but trots out a series of uninspired mediocrities.

And don't get me started on the crust...why would I want to eat a pizza whose crust is simultaneously charred and soggy? WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
You have a point. Most of the Neopolitan pizza crust is charred but as for soggy, I think that depends on who is preparing it. The charred obviously comes from a wood fire. My favorite is a cracker thin crust without the extra bread around the edges and as crispy as possible.

Like this

And not like this

Old 11-04-2016, 12:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
I went to this place that recently won best restaurant in CA on Yelp

https://www.yelp.com/biz/786-degrees-sun-valley

It's amazing. The guy does have some $30k oven made from ashes from mt vesuvius or something that cooks the pizzas in about 90 seconds. But whatever they are doing it's amazing. Obviously mileage will vary on Neapolitan pizzas depending on ingredients, oven, technique and the chef

Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I don't know, I think it can be pretty good (though it's not going to fit the bill for my every pizza craving, it has its place).

Crappy crust is crappy crust, though, no matter what the pizza style.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Pizza should never be soggy. Crispy with a slight char. Perfecto. There's really little point over arguing about personal tastes/preferences. You're in the minority that thinks NP is overrated.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I don't have a problem with the char, and obviously, crisp is a necessity. But my main issue when I get a not-so-great pizza is when the crust is utterly flavorless, or tastes overwhelmingly floury as the sole flavor of note. A flavorful crust is a must, no matter the style. Why eat toppings on a piece of flour-dusted tagboard?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Almost any time someone tells me about the great new pizzeria in their town, I roll my eyes, knowing that there's a 90% chance it's another in the seemingly endless string of neapolitan pizza joints. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the move to better ingredients, but I'm more impressed by masterful recipes. Neapolitan pizzerias remind me of the sort of farm-to-table restaurant that prides itsef on the sourcing of its ingredients, but trots out a series of uninspired mediocrities.

And don't get me started on the crust...why would I want to eat a pizza whose crust is simultaneously charred and soggy? WTF?
What did you think of Pizza Taglio in East Liberty?

Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the move to better ingredients, but I'm more impressed by masterful recipes. ........
Neapolitan Pizza is the best pizza in the world. Most places in the US that offer this are simply Americanized versions much like most the other "Italian" restaurants.

Neapolitan Pizza and Italian cuisine in general isn't about a masterful recipe, its about taking a few high quality ingredients that pair together and great technique. Most all Neapolitan Pizzas are basic 3 or 4 toppings + sauce. They serve great pizza there because they grow some of the best tomatoes in the world, and make the best mozzarella in the world.

My point I guess is that most of what we have available in the US throws out what makes Neapolitan pizza great, fresh high quality ingredients. So judging Neapolitan pizza based on that is a little rough.

I just stick to NY style pizza places myself, or chicago deep dish which can be just as good, in different ways in their own right, and save my Neapolitan pizza eating for when I am in Italy (or a really great place in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Like this
That is more like Roman pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

And not like this
Thats clearly an Americanized version because you won't find grated mozzarella (real mozz is too soft to grate), or pepperoni anywhere on a Neapolitan pizza (or anywhere in Italy).

Old 11-05-2016, 02:49 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
you won't find grated mozzarella (real mozz is too soft to grate)
Put real mozz in freezer for 15 minutes, proceed to grate it.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:02 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
I truly think it is personal preference.

We were just in Brooklyn, NY and went to Numero 28 Pizzeria---it was wonderful. Had one pizza with Buffalo mozzarella--Buffalo mozzarella was a new one for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink