U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:16 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,617,589 times

Advertisements

Had some excellent seafood today. I love lobster and crab. Dungeness is particularly sweet and succulent- I miss the ocean and all the bay scallops (fresh) and swordfish steaks. I also miss Maine lobster, in Florida had the spiny rock lobster- it was great.

What does everyone else like, that is hard to find where you live now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 03:39 PM

13,038 posts, read 23,666,018 times
I was brought up on fresh seafood and fish and I really miss it. Getting decent seafood in the UK is really difficult and expensive. Brits tend to like everything deep fried and I prefer it pretty much "au naturel". Which is a shame because Cornish and Scottish seafood is wonderful ( it mostly ends up in France though where they love it)
I love Crab, ( spider crab is my favourite), mussels( steamed or stuffed with garlic, parsley and breacrumbs), king prawns, shrimps, lobster, crayfish, sea urchin,conch and pretty much all fish though I am not keen on squid and octopus ( it's OK but a bit rubbery for me). My all time favourite though is Scallops ( very large ones with the coral still attached), barely seared for a few seconds with a lemon beurre blanc or homemade mayonnaise.Yummmmmmmmmmmm! My mouth is watering just thinking about a nice platter of seafood !

Old 07-04-2007, 07:26 PM

859 posts, read 3,218,113 times
My father has worked in the seafood industry for 30 years : )

So grew up with the best and freshest seafood and still get it to this day

I love everything

Old 07-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Mooseketeer- I tried to give you more ""+"" lol- I do like scallops- for some reason we cant get the bay scallops here- What do king prawns taste like?

I do love lobster but all we have in middle America are lakes. They do have good trout here though!.

sunny

Old 07-05-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Mooseketeer- I tried to give you more ""+"" lol- I do like scallops- for some reason we cant get the bay scallops here- What do king prawns taste like?

I do love lobster but all we have in middle America are lakes. They do have good trout here though!.

sunny
I'm not sure what king prawns are called in the US , they are large prawns and quite meaty in texture . I also love "langoustines" even bigger and no idea what they're called either! I also love tiny grey shrimps, delicious.

I have often wondered why it's so difficult to get the really big scallops in the US, they are the BEST !! I have dreams of "all you can eat" buffets of the stuff... they are so plump and juicy and sweet, absolute heaven.

I am a carnivore but if I ever had to give up beef I could happily live on seafood for the rest of my life.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,012,027 times
Thats what I LOVE about Florida.

I can get good Tex-mex, I can get good Barbeque (Texas foods)

I can get good Italian and Chinese delivered to my door

AND I can get good seafood...not as good as New England but alot better then Texas.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,286,903 times
My sister in Massachusetts has shipped us live lobsters for Christmas a couple times, really freaked out the postmaster in our SW MO town-he couldn't believe that was really what was in the box!

I love ocean fish, not real big on freshwater, and not fried. Also developed a taste for conch in Belize and Key West.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 AM

13,394 posts, read 43,369,250 times
After eating freshwater trout (which I always loved) for several decades, I certainly appreciate eating seafood here in northeast Florida.
I never even liked shrimp that much until I moved here--now I love it because it actually has taste!
Crab is my favorite though. I enjoy its subtle flavor. Crabcakes are to die for.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:01 PM

has anyone ever had abalone? I wish I lived by the ocean again- can't get anything fresh here! Yes- alot of people like fried everything- and catfish-lol.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
has anyone ever had abalone? I wish I lived by the ocean again- can't get anything fresh here! Yes- alot of people like fried everything- and catfish-lol.
I had abalone a long time ago in Tahiti and it was quite nice but not amongst my top favourites really.
I hate deep fried seafood , but it's just a question of taste really. I tend to dislike most fried foods actually, grilled is so much nicer, or pan fried very briefly with a tiny, tiny nut of butter or oil. A good marinade or rub is all that's needed IMO , even just steamed or boiled with home made mayonnaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink