Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I don't know if i have celiac disease..but most wheat products give me the excruciating pain. I just figured it was a wheat intolerance.

I'll have to check out the rice flour. I have bought gluten free breads before, the specialty brands..and the bread is really yucky tasting and very chewy. lol
So I hardly if ever buy bread anymore..besides, it also swells me up when I eat it.
I found some really great cookies that are gluten free. too bad they taste so good though..they go fast.
Pink, I am not a doctor but please do speak to your doctor because if you have celiac disease, you can do permanent damage by not adhereing to a specific diet and its not just avoid wheat. I would investigate it further. I believe celiac can be passed on so its a real disease not just a sensetivity. I don't know if you watch The View but the young woman who is blonde, Elizabeth Hasselbeck has Celiac Disease and sometimes they do a special about it.

If I remember correctly there are tests they run and moniter your body to make sure you are not causing a problem in your intestinal tract. Elizabeth even said her case is so bad that she had a hard time putting weight on after she had her daughter and had been told to wait a little before getting pregnant again...all due to her Celiac Disease. I remember thinking, if only I had a problem putting on weight...but I would HATE to not be able to eat wheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
I don't have a problem putting on weight, i have quite the opposite. lol
As far as doctors go, I am still searching for a good one. I have been through quite a few in town. They all seem to think the best way to treat patients is to medicate them, not try to fix the problems.
Unfortunately, that's all i get on my insurance plan.
I am trying to find a doctor that believes in lifestyle changes, not meds or surgery. I refuse to be just another sheep.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
from what state food inspectors have told me, "all natural" by federal guidelines, arent that strict, ANY meat in a store meatcase can be called "all natural" as long as its been federally inspected.
organic , has very very strict guidelines,

the dept of agriculture inspector, also said to beware of organic veggies, most grown locally, in fertilizer,,that can be laced with e-coli, wash your veggies well,,no matter where you buy them

Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 43,672 times
my sister recently lost 120 lbs after struggling years and years...yes she works out alot at a gym but the big results started to come when she came aware that she has celiac disease... my husband and sons have it..it can be horrible.. after seeing the pain my son and husband have gone thru before being diagnosed then with contaminated food accidentally!? WOW! You can get a blood test to show it or just go gluten free and you will see how you feel! Just by that you should know yourself!
As far as organic.. yea we'd like to think the standards are pretty high but congress keeps passing loopholes for the big corp. giants to pass as organic when they truely aren't! The best is to become informed from which companies are truely organic, care about our health, and our enviroment! Of course agriculture inspectors want to warn against organic... where do you think they get most of their business?! Okay so eat those genetically engineered, herbicides, pesticides and and basically chemicals. we'll see who gets cancer first.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
all natural, by usda guidelines, is quite vague, most all meat in supermarkets can be called all natural

organic is quite different, no hormones, pesticides innoculations, minimally processed, and must have paperwork to verify.

whole foods,,i havent heard that applied to food processing, think its more a food grouping,(minimally processed)

any questions,,is just a phone call away, call the dept of agriculture and ask the experts,,the definitions, seem to change.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
I'm not a fan of the USDA. It's part of the government that decided you can feed blood, chicken manure and feathers, meat and trash to cattle, and then you can eat it. Cattle don't naturally eat any of those things but the USDA decided it was ok.

Pesticides are used in organic growing. What can be used from state to state isn't set in stone. A pesticide acceptable by a certifying agent in one state can be rejected by a certifying agent in another state. It's either "organic" or it isn't, right? Chemical make up doesn't change when it crosses a state line. You can find lists of OMRI approved pesticides (this includes herbicides) online.

Don't take that organic label as absolute truth. Anyone can have the inspector at the farm one day a year and dump what they want to onto the plants and soil the rest of the year. There isn't any residue testing included in certification. Libby's sells organic green beans grown in China. We know how unreliable China has been with our food. Is that something you really trust to be organic?

Organic processed foods can include non-organic ingredients. There are lists of these foods on the net.
Quote:
the dept of agriculture inspector, also said to beware of organic veggies, most grown locally, in fertilizer,,that can be laced with e-coli, wash your veggies well,,no matter where you buy them
There's a good example of why we should raise an eyebrow at the USDA. Any USDA agent should know that organic production doesn't allow raw manure to be applied in the growing process. It can be useapplied d but not while plants are growing. There are differences in how it can be used for plants that produce in the soil and above the soil. He should also know that manure isn't a fertilizer (it's a soil amendment) and that fertilizer doesn't contain e-coli. There are strict rules for when manure can be spread on fields for e-coli and ground water contamination concerns.

But yes, do wash veggies. Birds and rodents don't care if they're near your food when they poop and occasionally, neither do workers. There's also drift concerns from synthetics carried in the wind.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
I realized a little bit ago that it sounds like I'm bashing farmers. I'm not - I am one. I think the USDA could be doing a lot better for us than it does. That can't happen until it's adequately staffed and lobbiests step back.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I don't have a problem putting on weight, i have quite the opposite. lol
As far as doctors go, I am still searching for a good one. I have been through quite a few in town. They all seem to think the best way to treat patients is to medicate them, not try to fix the problems.
Unfortunately, that's all i get on my insurance plan.
I am trying to find a doctor that believes in lifestyle changes, not meds or surgery. I refuse to be just another sheep.
You might have better luck finding a nutritionist. Another idea is a chiropractor who incorporates nutrition with treatment. Also, some DRs practice integrated medicine and may be able to help with a diet plan. I really believe many ailments can be resolved with the proper diet. good luck to you!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm not a fan of the USDA. It's part of the government that decided you can feed blood, chicken manure and feathers, meat and trash to cattle, and then you can eat it. Cattle don't naturally eat any of those things but the USDA decided it was ok.

Pesticides are used in organic growing. What can be used from state to state isn't set in stone. A pesticide acceptable by a certifying agent in one state can be rejected by a certifying agent in another state. It's either "organic" or it isn't, right? Chemical make up doesn't change when it crosses a state line. You can find lists of OMRI approved pesticides (this includes herbicides) online.

Don't take that organic label as absolute truth. Anyone can have the inspector at the farm one day a year and dump what they want to onto the plants and soil the rest of the year. There isn't any residue testing included in certification. Libby's sells organic green beans grown in China. We know how unreliable China has been with our food. Is that something you really trust to be organic?

Organic processed foods can include non-organic ingredients. There are lists of these foods on the net.
There's a good example of why we should raise an eyebrow at the USDA. Any USDA agent should know that organic production doesn't allow raw manure to be applied in the growing process. It can be useapplied d but not while plants are growing. There are differences in how it can be used for plants that produce in the soil and above the soil. He should also know that manure isn't a fertilizer (it's a soil amendment) and that fertilizer doesn't contain e-coli. There are strict rules for when manure can be spread on fields for e-coli and ground water contamination concerns.

But yes, do wash veggies. Birds and rodents don't care if they're near your food when they poop and occasionally, neither do workers. There's also drift concerns from synthetics carried in the wind.

You raise some good flags here....

The Best label is made with 100% organics,the 2nd label is Organic, the USDA certification is available on those two labels but is only certified for 95% of the product, so if it doesn't say 100% then its 95% and then there is the label of made with Organics which only has 70% organics and no seal from the USDA....

Natural doesn't mean much of anything...

As far as trusting well I am a big believer in common sense....and yes they do have a problem with contaminant crossover from petisides and GMO's etc....

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Its the price. Ive been eating canned and local veggies now for a lifetime and it hasnt killed me. Whats the sudden big deal??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink