Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from N.C. to S.C., and even though I am shopping at the same grocery store, I have noticed that my grocery bills are sky-rocketing.

Things like coffee, milk, meats, produce, and wine are way more expensive than they were 6 months to a year ago. I saw a package of Oscar Mayer bacon today for $7.00!!! (I bought Gwaltney instead).

Is this just me and my local move? Or are you noticing it too?

And if so, where are you cutting back? Do you have some great lower cost food alternatives? Cookbooks that are REALLY REALLY good that have lower cost recipies?

Are prices going to keep heading in this direction?

Any input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i feel your pain. food was the big shocker when we moved from NJ to NC. it's more expensive down here! so i try hard to shop sales and use coupons--but only on things i would normally buy. eveything has gone up. milk is more expensive than gasoline per gallon right now. butter is at a premium, and we get taxed down here on food
i also try to go to Aldis if i get a chance. i just unfortunately have to go to different markets for different things. it's a pain, but in my mind it's worth it.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I'm a single senior, cook for myself so have to think about single portion food. The only multi portion stuff I make is chili or spaghetti sauce. Last year I started keeping track of what I was buying and it's cost per month to see what I could do without. Cut back on about $40 a month on things I wouldn't miss or buying store brand. I'm now spending the same amount on food as I did last year. Not only are they raising the prices but also reducing the size of the containers. Can of tuna increased and contents reduced to 5 oz. Hellmanns mayo now $4.89 and contents reduced to 30 oz. [I buy 4 when Publix has a buy1get1 sale]
Big shocker last week. Needed coffee, 33 oz size of Folgers coffee was $8.29 now $9.95 Fish now more per lb than filet mignon steak. Grouper $16.95 per lb. Tomatoes $3.49 [and they're grown here] Cheapest beer in the store- 12 pack Miller high life was $6.99 price increase last week now $7.79
I now alternate shopping at Wal-Mart to save a few bucks.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Yeah, if it's just one person, it makes it harder to shop at Costco or Sams (we are rejoining Costco) too.

I love Publix but find it is more expensive.

I have heard about those people who can save a ton with super-couponing....I wonder how that works?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I've also noticed that bacon is not so cheap anymore. My favorite wine's price increased by .50/bottle. Sour cream is so expensive now that I hardly even buy it anymore.

My saver is the international market. I buy bulk and freeze it. My deep freezer is full of different meats and frozen fresh vegetables.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
We buy bacon at Costco. 4 one-pound packages for almost $14....it is A LOT, but cheaper than paying per package at the store, and I know we will eat it. I try to use one package for a couple meals. I just shop at the lower cost grocery stores (WinCo) and try to avoid as much processed food as possible. I find that fruits and veggies are pretty cheap. I think it varies by region though.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Thats some crazy food prices.

I shop at Costco (three teenagers!!!). I also coupon the hell out of everything. Here is a couple of posts of my process simplified for couponing from the Frugal Living forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/16020357-post21.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/13999321-post1.html

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Fortunately, the supermarket nearest my house has pretty good prices when compared to the other local stores. We don't have a Costco or Sam's Club in my town; nearest one is a couple towns over, about half an hour away. We do have a very nice Aldi store - great prices and good selection. Aldi has come a long way, and since the economy tanked, it's no longer the store where mostly po' folks go. Now, in my area, most people shop there at least part of the time. Gotta cut corners where we can, and Aldi has good stuff!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Prices have been and are continuing to go up. It makes me sick every time I go to the grocery store. Last week I went to buy OM center cut bacon(12 oz.) which I buy for my DH. It was $7.49 I told my hubby he has to do without until it goes on sale. Coffee is another killer. I try to stock up on sales but it doesn't always work out that way. I also compare prices from Sam's club but I find that they are overpriced almost all of the time.

The next step...eat less I guess BTW, in the past year I have shopped in NY, TN, and FL. Yes prices fluctuate and some places are cheaper than others but all food seems to be going up or getting smaller.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Thats some crazy food prices.

I shop at Costco (three teenagers!!!). I also coupon the hell out of everything. Here is a couple of posts of my process simplified for couponing from the Frugal Living forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/16020357-post21.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/13999321-post1.html
Thanks for the links. Question: You say not to buy brands. What coupons do you find that aren't for brand names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink