Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,373,158 times

Advertisements

My Mom used to slice them length wise and saute them in butter until they were soft with a little brown crust around the edges. YUM, I love parsnips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,566,362 times
Parsnip soup is one of my favourite way to eat parsnip :

Spicy roasted parsnip soup recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

And Parsnip crisps , a lovely alternative ot potato chips :

Parsnip Crisps Recipe | Food | Channel4.com

And Parsnip Mash :

Parsnip Mash Recipe | Food | Channel4.com

Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,265,779 times
I get a big piece of beef suet or two. Slash the top of the suet in a checkerboad pattern and fry it til it renders it's fat.
Peel and place the parsnips length-wise in and oven-safe cassarole dish. Pour the suet over the parsnips, (the suet only renders about 2 TBSP of fat). Salt & pepper, toss, and bake in the oven.
I do this when I make and eyeround roast.

I used to roast them in the pan with the roast, but then I couldn't make gravy. So I do seperately.

Also, parsnips have gotten so expensive ($2.54 a bag and there's only 3 inside And I don't know why. There's not a big call for them here.) I've resorted to doing carrots the same, adding them to the parsnip/suet dish to extend the volumn.

If I'm trying to expedite cooking time, I steam the veggies (carrots & parsnips) for only about 7-8 mins. first, depending how thick they are, then put in baking dish with suet.
The reason I cook them with the suet, rather than oil or butter, is because it picks up alittle of the beef flavor. Yum, yum!
Then I blot excess oil out of the rendered suet, chop it up and add it to the dog's food. What a treat for him!

I think they taste like a very mild, less sweet, carrot. The texture being alittle denser, maybe starchier?, than a carrot.

My mother used to steam them and throw them in with the boiled potatoes to mash together, with butter & milk.

If you like cooked carrots, however you like cooked carrots, I'd say it's a safe bet you'd enjoy parsnips.
Give 'em a try.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM

509 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Yes, they are good. I usually just throw them into my soups with other veggies that people don't use very often (turnips, rutabegas, etc) just for fun.

If you get them from a store that doesn't sell alot of parsnips, which is most stores, they seem to have a weird waxy coating on them much of the time. Be sure to either peel them or wash them really well.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,575,229 times
That soup recipe looks tasty, Mooseketeer. I was thinking of adding a soup to Thanksgiving dinner this year--that one might be perfect! I like the comment about pouring leftovers over a hot baked potato too.

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-16-2010 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,000,032 times
Am I the only one that doesn't like boiled parsnips? Roasting caramelized them and makes them sweet - I think they taste bitter when they are boiled and have an odd taste. Maybe it is just me.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,391,198 times
I'm going to try them both boiled and roasted before Turkeyday. I'll only cook maybe 2 at a time just as a taste test and i'll start tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink