Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was in my local grocery store, at the deli counter. I placed my order with the girl behind the counter. When she took my order she sounded so congested that she could barely speak. While she was digging around in the deli case, she kept sniffing and snorting. As she pulls a ham out of the case, she sniffs again, then wipes her nose on the sleeve of her smock and continues what she's doing. I must have had a shocked look on my face, because when she looked up at me and made eye contact she mumbled "sorry". I was so grossed out. She had long, stringy, dirty looking hair, that was partially clipped up, but mostly hanging loose, with no hair net. Plus, and I know this really isn't relevant, but still bothered me, she had a hoop nose ring. The whole idea of her with this ring in her nose, wiping it on her smock, with her dirty hair hanging down while she sliced my ham was more than I could handle. I just took my package and walked away. I started to say something to the store manager, but didn't. This is not a great store, but is just the closest to my house. Instead I just promised myself that from now on I will drive a little further to go to a better store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I would have said something to the manager, as tactfully as I could. I'd use a "I'm sorry to have to tell you" approach with a regretful tone, instead of a "your employee is disgusting" approach with an offended tone. I find that people tend to respond better to the former, like you're on the same side. I think it's good to allow stores the opportunity to improve and get more business, rather than lose business and wonder why. It's inexcusable for a sick, dirty-looking employee to be handling food like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could get some kind of health code violation for it.

If you really don't want to go back there, maybe write a letter.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
I would have had to say something.. The girl most likely needs the money real bad with Christmas being shoved down everyones throat and most likely is afraid of losing her very hard to come by job for calling in sick.. But sick or not it's no exceuse for looking dirty and managment should not allow her or anyone to work sick or in a supposedly profesional enviornment with any type exposed body peircings except in the ears.. I also would have not taken the items she made for you.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I also would have not taken the items she made for you.
Nor would I. I would have told her I changed my mind or taken it to the manager and had that discussion. This ties into the thread about sending food back a restaurant: food that has been coughed and sneezed on is inedible in my book. I'll give the establishment the chance to make it right.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Before or after I vomit?

Seriously, though, I agree with everyone else: A calm discussion with the manager (talking to the girl herself would solve nothing) and NOT taking the product after she potentially shnorked on it.

ETA: This reminds me of the girl at the pharmacy counter at my local Walgreens. She was always in a lousy mood (read: snarky as hell) and, one time, I said to her: "Are you upset about something?" thinking that would (nicely) alert her to her (bad) behavior, by my acting concerned. It didn't change a thing. I should have spoken to the manager, but I haven't seen the counter girl around lately, so I'm thinking that someone else spoke to the manager and the counter girl now has a less customer-interactive job somewhere else.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
That is just nasTAY!!! BLEC... No way I would have taken anything from her. And, yes, a calm conversation with the manager would have been in order. The manager doesn't always notice things until the public brings to to their attention!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM

One reason I didn't say anything is that it's the type of place that really doesn't seem to care. A few weeks ago I was in the same store and I needed 1/2 pint of heavy cream. I needed it for a recipe that called for 3 tablespoons, so I didn't need much. They only had one brand in 1/2 pints. Every container was expired, and had been expired for 4 days. I asked someone if they could help and they went and got a department manager. When he came back I nicely explained that it was all expired, and I didn't really didn't want to spend so much more on a larger container. I asked if they didn't have more in the back. He went through every container, and then just looked at me and said, "yeah, it's all expired". He said that that's all they had and I would just have to buy bigger size. It didn't even seem to bother him that this stuff was all expired. I guess they were just hoping people would not notice it and buy it anyway. His attitude made me so mad, I told him I should have gone to Walmart. His reply was, "yeah that's where we all shop".

Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Sounds like they should go out of business or fire their managment and give the job to someone who would appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Sounds like they should go out of business or fire their managment and give the job to someone who would appreciate it.
I wish they would. It's actually the 3rd grocery company to occupy this space since I've lived here, and I've only been here 4 years.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Oh wow. Sounds like the letter will fall on deaf ears. Well, they'll go out of business eventually, if they aren't shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink