Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times

Advertisements

Interesting article, and pretty spot on. I love this fudge sold at Costco, it is only sold at the holidays, it is pricey, but it melts in your mouth. Decadent. Another thing I think is a great price at Costco is a large container of Baklava, and it is delicious. Full of nuts, and you can taste the butter and dripping with honey. Pure pleasure. For the holidays, I love to buy speciality cheese at Costco, for parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,729,087 times
I buy my grana padano cheese there (like a creamier Parmesan). It comes in a $13 chunk that lasts a couple of months (less in my house though!). I also buy the big blocks of cheddar, cheese slices for my daughter's sandwiches and cheese sticks for her snack. As you can see we eat a lot of cheese!

I also buy frozen veg, I only have a regular side by side but one shelf is for frozen broccoli, peas and mixed veg.

I like their stuffed pasta shells but they're rarely in stock.

I also love their baby bellas and tomatoes.

We primarily go there for cat litter once a month and then buy what we need as we're there. I try not to go too often as it gets expensive!

Our new local store opens this morning. We've been driving 30 miles round trip to go to our old local one until now so this will be great.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 AM

Oh and I just read that article. It's very true, you can easily get carried away by the price per ounce which is why I don't buy too much there anymore - apparently ketchup isn't supposed to last the 18 months it took us to finish one of their bottles!

I have bought all my eyeglasses there though since joining. Very competitive prices, especially for the brands they have there.

And our original membership was bought to get tires for the car. It paid for itself right there.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,342,161 times
Interesting.......although one of the four things they talk about was "sheets and towels"....Why shouldn't you buy them at Costco?....Because the color choices are limited. .....so in other words, if you can't find what you are looking for, don't buy it. Always good advice...

It also mentions "designer" clothing...I'm not too into designer clothing anyway but I have/do purchase clothing for myself and my family (anything from socks to coats) and have had good luck with them...Oh! Another thing which (at least here) is a great deal? Winter gloves - ski/snowboard type...At about $15/pair, you can't go wrong....

I would have to agree that I've learned not to buy certain things: large quanitities of fruits and veggies that spoil quickly (yes, bag of 5-6 Hass Avocadoes, I talking about you ). I do love the fresh French green beans but....it's a lot of green beans to have fresh when there are just 3 of us....same with the large bins of salad....

Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM

They had Juicy Couture jackets and pants at mine today!

They also had a $20,000 tv...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Meh. They were like the veggie burgers that they also sell there, but balls instead of patties.
Booo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
They also had a $20,000 tv...
$20k for a TV? Wow! What made it $20k? Must have been pretty special!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:29 PM

My husband said it was 80 some inches.
This Costco is located in one of the richest towns in the state so if they can sell it anywhere, it's here. But wow!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,183 times
Our favorite Costco items are:

Dave's Killer Organic Bread
Don Lee Farm's Veggie Patties
Morning Star Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
Earthbound Organic veggies

The husband just came in from a Costco run while I was writing this....! So I have to edit to add:
Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Whole Oats

Last edited by bongo; 11-21-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,667,347 times
I am not much of a desert person but the vanilla pizzelle cookies they have are amazing. So are their sprinkled butter cookies. They also have a really good crab salad. I remember after hurricane Katrina our local store was out of that for almost six months due to the lack of crab fishing on the gulf. I sure was glad to see it back.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,855,598 times
Produce, Milk, Cleaning products, Soap, Gift Cards ect......
Their Pumpkin Pie is the best for store bought and their Pumpkin Cheesecake is really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink