Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Lets turn this into who can make the nastiest Thanksgiving Dinner ever thread..
And the cheapest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 02:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Hang on ... I see a couple squirrels in the tree out back ... I might win this! BRB.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hang on ... I see a couple squirrels in the tree out back ... I might win this! BRB.
Awesome! I got a rep telling me that seconds were not necessary nor desirable, so you won't even need big squirrels.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Heh..I'm sure if we were all more "experienced cooks" we could make a feast out of all that....some Banquet pies, some squirrels and some Keystone light...all for less than $1.99 per serving!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Okay, lets not break out the pot pies and squirrels, lol.

I went back and read a couple posts that I didn't see before. Some people never change.

Item for item I spent more this year than I have in years past. I didn't whine or really even complain. I just wondered if anyone else noticed it as I know that usually these things are regional. I love cooking and usually, it's cheaper to cook a nice dinner at home as opposed to eating out.

I waited and waited for a turkey deal. Someone mentioned Super Walmart. I have one not far from here but I stopped eating their meat some years ago. So I guess it's my fault for missing out on their deal.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Hey, Keystone light ain't cheap and it's my favorite. Ha! But, we don't have alcohol at our Thanksgiving dinner! No particular problem with it though. Thanksgiving is a "big deal" to many who have friends and or relatives over. Family reunion of sorts. So many go all out with the turkey and all the trimmings and casseroles and pies and such. Others on the other hand treat it like any other meal. Use of turkey may be the only thing to seperate this meal from their normal meals. Well to each his own.

..Thanksgiving is a big deal at our house. We have things including the turkey that we don't have any other time of year. Wife's not here at the moment, but I guarantee she spent $150 - $200 bucks easily. Yes, to feed 6 grownups and an almost 3 year old. We will have leftovers for a few days to come....as planned. Things we don't have the rest of the year to enjoy. We have a local company that serves free TG dinners to indigents/homeless persons. We also have places that make and sell dinners at lower cost than making your own. Try going back for seconds. Not happening! Happy Thanksgiving to all regardless of what you spend or don't spend!!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

If it were only about cost, I could go get 8 frozen Banquet pot pies, get some instant mashed potatoes, and dump a couple of cans of generic canned green beans into a dish, and call it a day. Could probably feed all 8 for under $20...including the box of wine...

Your post is laughable.

You make it sound like real whole turkeys, real potatoes, and real vegetables are sooooo darn expensive.

They aren't .

I'll give you a D- for your sarcasm.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
If you have a Vons or a Safeway in your area then right now they're offering a frozen Butterball Turkey up to 24 lbs for just $10 if you order online. Up to 16 lbs for $8.

http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/

Their store brand frozen turkey is just $7 for up to 24 lbs.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Your post is laughable.

You make it sound like real whole turkeys, real potatoes, and real vegetables are sooooo darn expensive.

They aren't .

I'll give you a D- for your sarcasm.
No worries...I wasn't really searching for your approval to begin with. We were all just having a neighborly chat about the holiday before you dropped by to chastise, so...whatever.... I hope those that spend the holidays with you enjoy your very special brand of...personality!Cheers!<lifts glass of more- expensive-than-usual but I didn't mind spending extra 'cause Thanksgiving only comes once a year wine>

Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Albertsons:: Save - Weekly Ad

Oh, and Albertson's is offering a free frozen turkey up to 24lbs with any purchase $25 or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink