Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Turkey Brining
I brine my turkey every year. 12 54.55%
I have tried brining and it turned out awful 1 4.55%
I have never brined, considering it this year 4 18.18%
I roast my turkey without brining 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:51 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times

Advertisements

We bought a Butterball breast, and they have a page on brining:
How To Brine a Turkey | Butterball®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
I've used shoyu (Hawaiian style soy sauce) and brown sugar as a brine, makes the skin very dark brown.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id think the young turkeys would be more tender...
thanks for sharing!!!

I haven't seen too many 8-10lb turkeys sold in the stores,,,except for lil butterballs(in this region) most of the sizes start at 10-12lb average for hens
I know, I rarely see small turkeys myself so I thought they would be great for a couple of meals without a ton of leftovers from buying a larger bird. It's just my hubby and I, and by the time we eat a couple of meals from a larger bird, we're had enough lol. I've tried freezing turkey. Blech! chewy like rubber

I checked my recipe files and I think this is the brine recipe I used.

BTW, (I put the turkey in a large plastic bag, poured in the brine, then the bag into a bowl for the night)

Simple Chicken Brine

1 gallon warm water

3/4 cup kosher salt

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
Pour the warm water into a container that is twice the volume of the water. Pour in the salt, sugar, soy sauce, garlic and olive oil. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then allow the brine to cool to room temperature.
To use, place chicken in the brine, cover, and refrigerate two hours for skinless breasts, 4 hours for bone-in pieces, and 4 hours to overnight for whole chickens. Drain and pat the chicken dry before cooking. One gallon of brine is enough for 6 pounds of whole chicken or bone-in chicken pieces, and up to 10 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
My sister and hubby swear by it. Their turkeys are much juicier than 'regular turkey'. They have double dipped now with brining and deep frying.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Can anyone clarify as to what sort of turkey should be brined (Kosher, frozen, ect)? I think the Kosher ones are processed with salt, but I've read back and forth as if this increases the salt load on the meat.

If the pot is stainless, you should be in good shape. Aluminum should be fine, too. If you are really concerned, you can always get a brine bag. Just don't use a garbage bag since they are not food grade plastic. I know it's getting late in the season; Amazon Prime is probably out, but BB&B might have some as well as Target or WalMart. Don't forget you can use a oven roasting bag if it's big enough to hold everything.
Don't brine directly in an aluminum or copper pot. The salt will react and could result in a metallic taste.

I've been using Alton Brown's brine recipe in a 5 gallon water cooler for years. Everyone raves about the juicy turkey. I'll never go back to not brining.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Brine and then smoke. The only caveats - 1.) try to buy a bird that isn't "enhanced" (i.e. the poultry industry pumping salt water into the turkey so that you are essentially paying for water). 2.) You brine too long and you will turn your turkey to mush.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
My sister and hubby swear by it. Their turkeys are much juicier than 'regular turkey'. They have double dipped now with brining and deep frying.
The best turkeys, I have roasted, are in an old fashioned roaster. The roaster seems to baste the turkey. Put carrots, celery, butter or margarine, seasonings in the cavity, instead of the stuffing and start the turkey on high, maybe 375 and lower the heat to 250 or so, cook slowly. Stuffing, baked in a separate pan, I have made my stuffing in a crock pot; yum, yum..........HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
all you ever wanted to know about brining. Very scientific and thorough.

The Food Lab: The Truth About Brining Turkey | Serious Eats

Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Well, been reading through Butterball website, and came across this. We were going to dry brine, but they do pre-brine their turkeys:
Why Butterball Turkeys Are Better | Butterball®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink