Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

Do you like your food "wet" or "dry?" Are you a big fan of sauces and gravy and condiments? Or do you prefer to eat most things "dry?" Just curious....I'm a "wettie" who has become a little more "dry" through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I guess I'm dry. Except for the obvious; bisquits and gravy, spagetti w/sauce, etc.

I don't like condiments on steak, burgers(the tomato is there you don't need ketchup), or just about any other cut of meat. BUT, if I do really screw up then it gets a spicy sauce/condiment. But I don't mess up.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 AM

309 posts, read 812,001 times
Definately like sauces, dips, condiments, glazes - to me they differentiate what would otherwise be something a bit plain and boring into something luscious and mouth watering - often with relatively little effort

Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Definitely a "wet" !

I adore sauces , in fact it is something I can be a little obsessive about. I often think I would be quite happy given a jug of some particularily tasty red wine sauce or bearnaise and some bread... To me the test of a good chef is what types of sauces he /she can produce. A great "saucier" is as much an artist as a good baker or all round chef.

I adore condiments like mustards ( I have whole selection at home) and home made mayonnaise. Not so keen on ketchup but it has its place. And a good salad IMO depends on the dressing most of the time.

A good sauce /dressing can make an ordinary dish sing and elevates it to great heights in my experience.

I also love stews because of the gorgeous yumminess of their rich gravies. Dunk some good artisan bread into it and it's heaven on a plate...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I guess I'm dry. Except for the obvious; bisquits and gravy, spagetti w/sauce, etc.

I don't like condiments on steak, burgers(the tomato is there you don't need ketchup), or just about any other cut of meat. BUT, if I do really screw up then it gets a spicy sauce/condiment. But I don't mess up.
Thanks for posting. It is hard to taste individual items when everything is covered by a sauce or gravy or ketchup etc...It's taken me a "near lifetime" to realize this!...My parents were into gravies and "lots of extra sauce" etc...When I didn't want to eat vegetables as a kid my Dad would tell me to pour ketchup all over my veggies to mask the taste...or mustard or vinegar or even salad dressing! Needless to say I spent most of my life addicted to condiments or "extra gravy" over everything etc...I am better today...It's good to be able to taste everything versus just salsa....or just ketchup...or just gravy!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
I like it semi-wet invisible.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Add the gravy.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I prefer moist to wet, or to dry. I love sliced turkey right off the bird, on a plate. I like the skin crisp and well seasoned, and the bird naturally juicy and tender. I don't like it drowning in gravy, but I do enjoy a little gravy - maybe a teaspoon smeared over the whole slice.

I like my bread with butter, but I don't use bread to sop up my marinara. In fact I used to hate tomato sauce, and would only eat my macaroni with a little butter and lots of grated cheese when I was a kid. I started enjoying sauce when I met the man I was to marry, and I had to "endure" my very first italian home-cooked meal made by a real italian mom. Turns out homecooked marinara's pretty danged delish. But I still prefer it light, not drowning the ronis.

No extra sauce on my meatball subs, but I do need to have SOME sauce. So - moist. Moist is good. Drenched, not good. No steak sauce on my steaks - just some sauteed mushrooms. And I still -much- prefer butter, garlic, and parm on my mashed to gravy of any kind.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Most of my meals consist of a dry white base with a sauce on it. Typical would be curry on rice, or chicken paprikas on nokedles, or beans and rice, or lamb couscous. But if I use potatoes, it is dry, such as salmon patties, liver/onions, or oven-roasted ghivetch.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
I like my kibble wet please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink