Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:15 AM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Honest question: I'm seeing lots of "curry powder" on here. Define "curry." There are SO MANY different variants of the blend. Which ones are you all referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 12:44 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Honest question: I'm seeing lots of "curry powder" on here. Define "curry." There are SO MANY different variants of the blend. Which ones are you all referring to?
For me, Madras. Badia makes what I suspect is a generic of it. Overall makeup is curry leaves, turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, and some lesser notes.

Spice combinations can all be fun, and some of what I throw together might be stretched and called a "curry." If folks want to be purists, great. If folks want a quick add to a dish, great. Tastes can be very idiosyncratic and there is no "one size fits all." Cilantro makes some people gag. Heat may be a problem for people with sensitive digestion. Other than "try this combination, you might like it" I see no need for comparing or rating. YMMV

Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
OMG. I would cry if I had to choose just ten. OK, maybe not cry, but definitely pout.

Here's my spice rack - see my dilemma?

But off the top of my head, not counting the fresh herbs that I grow in the garden, I'd have to say (in no particular order):

Cinnamon
Smoked salt
Herbs of Provence blend
Garam Masala
Vindaloo curry
Red pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cloves
Cardamom
Ginger

I didn't include fresh herbs like garlic, basil, sage, oregano, thyme, parsley, onion, etc. And I admit - I do buy my vindaloo curry premixed! Wow, it's great in chicken salad!

I also didn't include wasabi powder because I use a paste.

And I didn't include sriracha or other sauces (love me some Asian and Tex Mex and Cajun sauces!).
Attached Thumbnails
Are there some spices you just love..?-spice-cabinet-open-larger-again.jpg  

Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Those top five shelves make me jealous. The bottom four look very familiar, except for some reason I never could stand Braggs and I have more extracts. Nicely done.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Seasoning salt
Kosher salt/sea salt
Coarse ground pepper
Garlic salt
Garlic pepper
Poppy seeds

I have a cabinet full of spices so have whatever I need for any recipe, but I use the ones above really often.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
10? Wow that is limited.

Black Pepper
Pink Peppercorns
Cumin
Coriander
Smoked Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Bay Leaves
Thyme
Turmeric
Cinnamon

This is in the neighborhood of what I'd want at minimum with maximum flexibility.

Salt is not a spice.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
10? Wow that is limited.

Black Pepper
Pink Peppercorns
Cumin
Coriander
Smoked Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Bay Leaves
Thyme
Turmeric
Cinnamon

This is in the neighborhood of what I'd want at minimum with maximum flexibility.

Salt is not a spice.
This is true... I was going to ask about garlic and onion powder, but then more often than not, I use freshly crushed/chopped instead. Then again, I do that with hot peppers too.

My list is similar to yours, but I guess, considering my affinity for cooking with fresh scotch bonnets and habaneros, I'd replace cayenne and throw in fenugreek.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Smoked salt is a little bit of a spice.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG. I would cry if I had to choose just ten. OK, maybe not cry, but definitely pout.

Here's my spice rack - see my dilemma?

But off the top of my head, not counting the fresh herbs that I grow in the garden, I'd have to say (in no particular order):

Cinnamon
Smoked salt
Herbs of Provence blend
Garam Masala
Vindaloo curry
Red pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cloves
Cardamom
Ginger

I didn't include fresh herbs like garlic, basil, sage, oregano, thyme, parsley, onion, etc. And I admit - I do buy my vindaloo curry premixed! Wow, it's great in chicken salad!

I also didn't include wasabi powder because I use a paste.

And I didn't include sriracha or other sauces (love me some Asian and Tex Mex and Cajun sauces!).
But it doesn't look like you use them. All the jars are full. All that unused spice will go stale in a heartbeat.

I wish I could buy little tiny containers of spice. I don't cook for an army so other than the staples such as onion and garlic powder/salt, most of what I buy for specialty dishes goes to waste. I don't cook the same dishes over and over in close succession, so for me, sticking to the basics is enough. Spices are too expensive to buy just for a showy spice rack.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
But it doesn't look like you use them. All the jars are full. All that unused spice will go stale in a heartbeat.

I wish I could buy little tiny containers of spice. I don't cook for an army so other than the staples such as onion and garlic powder/salt, most of what I buy for specialty dishes goes to waste. I don't cook the same dishes over and over in close succession, so for me, sticking to the basics is enough. Spices are too expensive to buy just for a showy spice rack.
I use them all the time. I fill up the jars when they're empty. I took this photo right after I ordered all the jars and labels and filled them up. This photo is from three years ago - if I was predisposed to do so (which I'm not) I could take a close up of the same cabinet now and show you various stages of spice levels in various jars.

I often dry herbs from my garden and fill these jars with those - especially sage, rosemary, basil, and oregano. Flakes, not the ground type, obviously. I'm not that much of a purist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink