Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

Why do you like to cook? What do you "gain" from cooking?...I enjoy spoiling my loved ones and taking care of my family by cooking "tasty meals."... Also cooking seems to build up my confidence and gives me a sense of "power." When I am bogged down with problems in my life I always turn to cooking to lift my spirits. How about you? ...Maybe I can't solve my problems overnight but I can still do "something." I can still throw a meal together or create a new recipe so I don't feel totally "useless." How does cooking help you? Thanks....Happy cooking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Imo the best is to get to choose what I eat and do it to my standards.

No preservatives, no forever-in-a-can shelf life, no ingredients I can barely pronounce, no extra fat and sodium I certainly don't need. If I want something with more fat or salt, I choose where it comes from and make it a real treat, not something mass-produced, built-in, regardless of my taste.

Not something I would microwave today or within 2 months and would taste the same.

Getting to learn about ingredients people in other countries use and learning how to cook with them. To me it is a huge plus.

There is a whole lot of things I have learned from international cuisines, and a whole other lot I still don't know yet, and I love it.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I don't really cook anything, but I think for many who do love cooking, it is a stress reliever. Everyone has those types of things they like to do to relieve stress.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The two logical answers are A) I can control the ingredients and the outcome, and B) I can pay scratch prices. It helps that I'm retired and have infinite time to cook, but even when I was working, I always had time to cook.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Gives me something to do while I have my Scotch and Soda.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I love finding ethnic recipes and making them really well. I like learning about different cultures and their foods. ITA that is a big plus for me. I like being able to cook a variety of foods and not just the average American meat and potato dishes.

It is also a stress reliever and calming to me. I can use up a boring day just learning to cook something new.

I like making food really cheap. I don't understand people who eat out often. Funny thing is, they are eating at places like Applebees, low-end to modest steakhouses, and fast food joints. That's such a waste IMO. You can make these meals at home, including drinks, for a fraction of what you pay at the restaurant.

I cannot lie. I like the ego boost when people tell me my food is good.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Like others have said, it's about controlling what you ingest. I also like to challenge myself to cook things that I have never tried before.

My parents always cooked from scratch, so that is the norm for me. Besides, I am amazed at how much preservatives and sodium is in prepared foods

Besides, the one ingredient that is not included in recipe is love and you can really taste that

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Why do you like to cook? What do you "gain" from cooking?...I enjoy spoiling my loved ones and taking care of my family by cooking "tasty meals."... Also cooking seems to build up my confidence and gives me a sense of "power." When I am bogged down with problems in my life I always turn to cooking to lift my spirits. How about you? ...Maybe I can't solve my problems overnight but I can still do "something." I can still throw a meal together or create a new recipe so I don't feel totally "useless." How does cooking help you? Thanks....Happy cooking!
To me it's just fun and it makes me feel accomplished.
I'm 20 years old and a lot of my friends don't really know how to cook. They tend to eat out a lot or buy a lot of stuff that's microwavable.

I don't cook as much as I'd like but it's not as fun to just cook for yourself. If I had a girlfriend, I'd cook for her. There's something nice about serving others and having them compliment your cooking.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
It's the only way I can afford to feed my three Sports loving teenagers. That and road kill are how I make it. They actually think I shoot five deer when I go hunting in Colorado every fall. They always compliment me on how tender the venison comes out. LMAO

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I find it relaxing, interesting, and gives me something to do with my hands that results in an end product, but not a bunch of extra tchochke like a craft does (anyone need a scarf?). And, if I do it well, it makes other people happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink