Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I cook at home because
My parents did so 19 17.12%
My spouse parents did so 5 4.50%
I enjoy cooking and want eat healthier 75 67.57%
I don't enjoy it, but my family expect me to do so 1 0.90%
I cook when I feel like 25 22.52%
I/spouse cook only on weekends/holidays/special occasions 1 0.90%
I don't cook but my spouse does 0 0%
I hate cooking but do it for economic reasons 6 5.41%
I would love to cook, but don't know how 1 0.90%
We don't cook at home 1 0.90%
Other 15 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times

Advertisements

I cook every day...can't remember the last time we ate in a restaurant....I cook because I like to know what's going in my food....I know that my hands are clean....I know that the food is fresh....and I guess I'd have to admit...after all these years, I'm afraid to eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I'm not opposed to restaurants at all, but I tend to prefer them for things that I know I'm just NOT gonna make at home, either because I'm not equipped with the appropriate utensils or ingredients, or because the ingredients are costly or not things I would typically have onhand or available. Mostly various ethnic dining that somebody who really knows it is gonna do better than my own creative approximation (which also has its time and place, of course).

Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,155 times
I cook at home because most restaurants frown on total strangers coming into their kitchens to fix my own meals(;b)

Sorry, couldn't resist...I cook at home because in the long run it's cheaper and I don't have to wear clothes if I
don't want to...but I usually do...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,214,879 times
I cook because it's cheaper than eating out every night. I don't really like to cook and I'm definitely not a good cook, but it's a necessary evil.

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 06-14-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,985 times
Cheaper...healthier...better tasting!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
To those that say "I eat out because I don't have the time to cook", have they ever really timed it, how much time they spend getting dressed properly, driving to the restaurant, waiting to be served, waiting for the check, paying the bill, driving back home? That's my roommate, has never cooked anything in my kitchen the 6 months he's been here! One roommate, likewise, who lived here 2 years, never used the stove once! Every meal eaten out!

And to those that say "My mother, grandmother never taught me how to cook", well, my mother, grandmother, aunts, no one ever taught me how to cook, or were there to supervise me. I accomplished it all out of curiosity, experimentation, adventure. Start out with a hamburger, or chili, and go from there!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,514 times
I had a major surgery last month and I'm slowly getting back into the kitchen. With all the rest I've had to do I've been watching The Cooking Channel and Food Network nonstop. There are so many things I want to try that I don't see us eating out much. Right now the only time we eat out is if we are both too tired to cook or if it's an ethnic food we don't have a lot of experience cooking like Thai, Chinese or Indian.

Before the surgery I cooked whenever I wanted which was often but we still ate out more than I liked. It adds up quickly and it's not always satisfying. We don't cook super healthy at home. Dessert is wonderful even if it's not an every night thing and so are dishes like scampi and etouffee, which call for plenty of butter.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I live in a small, rural town, not known for culinary expertise. We go out, and just realize we could have had better food at home. Eating out is not that greatn around here.

And when I lived in Miami, I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the restaurants there.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I live in a small, rural town, not known for culinary expertise. We go out, and just realize we could have had better food at home. Eating out is not that greatn around here.

And when I lived in Miami, I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the restaurants there.
I've never been to a nice restaurant in all of Florida, sadly.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I've never been to a nice restaurant in all of Florida, sadly.
Oh my, I have been to some very nice restaurants in Florida, no, maybe not on the same plain as San Francisco, New York City or even Vegas, but some nice ones.

Now, as for the question of eating out, quality and cost: I have a perfect example; yesterday, we had a $25 gift card we got at Christmas so while out for the day we went to Chilie's. It has never been a favorite of mine, but what the heck. Well, we opts for the 2 dinners for $20. I know, not expensive, but what the choices were and what we got convinced me, there has to be a better way to enjoy eating out: We got an appitzer to share: fine, we did the onion and jalapeno strips. Actually, other that having a couple hundred, thousand calories, it was pretty good, just way too much. Then came the meal: hubby chose 1/2 rack of ribs and I got the quasedena salad (spelling) If the dressing hadn't been made out of pure sugar water it might not have been bad, but it was way too sweet and again, way to much, plus the salad was almost wilted due to the dressing. Hubby got nothing but french fries with his, no veggy, no salad, nada and we couldn't request any substitutes or changes. Otherwise I would have had another dressing, ordered on the side. Now I know why we eat at home 90% of the time....

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink