Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 PM

527 posts, read 1,016,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Mine too!
It's funny, because most of the year I eat lightly.
But I pour it on when it's Christmas Eve!

When we were in Colorado, it was always a beef menu for Christmas Eve, with Yorkshire Pudding and trifle for dessert.
We are doing that this year (tenderloin).
But we did the Feast of the Seven Fishes a few years ago and it was a big hit.

I also love oyster stew, but now that we live in Florida, we really like to either roast them or eat them fresh on the half-shell.

I love Oysters Raw and I love Oyster Rockerfellers too (so good )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM

61,196 posts, read 86,043,522 times
My Christmas Eve ( and Christmas Day ) is always very traditional.
It starts with decorating the live tree during the daylight hours. Then we dress up and start to set the table.
The table will be set with a white tablecloth' candles on the table are lit and main lights are reduced. One extra place setting will be made to remember absent family members or accommodate an unexpected guest.
We will light the tree and serve supper around 7 PM ( we fast until dinnertime ).
The dinner begins with a prayer and sharing of blessed Oplatek bread ( Christmas wafer ) - it is a moment of love and forgiveness, strengthening family bond and a gives a sense of belonging.
On Christmas Eve a 13-dish, meatless dinner is served before other festivities begin.
The traditional soup is borscht (beet soup) usually eaten with boiled eggs and sour cream, but for Christmas Eve, borscht gets a fancier treatment - small mushroom raviolis will replace eggs in this delicious soup.
Then different kinds of fish ( fried, baked, in aspic, with sour cream, pickled etc),
lots of veggie salads raw and cooked, and other meatless dishes will be served.
White wine and chilled vodka will accompany the feast.
A popular drink at Christmas Eve and during Christmas season in general, is cold compote that is made with apples, prunes, figs, pears, apricots, and grapes, though apples is by far the most popular choice of fruit. It goes great with the variety of traditional cakes and pastries like cheesecake, honey gingerbread cake, rum baba, poppyseed roll, and assorted cookies.
Fresh whole fruit and fruit salad will be also eaten.
After the dinner we enjoy the Christmas tree, share the gifts and listen to Carols.
Traditional Christmas celebration typically spans over three days and involves a sumptuous amount of food and eating (or more often overeating)
The last accent of Christmas Eve is a participation in Christmas midnight mass.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,262,781 times
My tradition: "The Feast of the 7 Fishes", is a traditional italian Christmas Eve meal.
See post 41,pag. 5, in this thread:What is your first choice for Christmas Dinner?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,704,439 times
We make reservations and have a grand meal at one of New Orleans' finer restaurants.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

50,035 posts, read 63,371,030 times
I REALLY love the idea of all seafood, I might do that this year.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,183,672 times
Always oyster/spinach/rice soup. I've had people correct me that it's stew but I use a cup of wine, 2 cups cream n some chicken broth in addition to the oyster juices and then thicken it-some. I actually caught a guest licking the inside of the skillet after dinner. Unfortunately oysters cost so much up here it's about $35 to make enough for 4. (and nice crusty bread for dipping- no crackers)

When the entire family worked late on Christmas eve, retail n such, I would order up about $200 of chinese and have it delivered......it was a huge hit cuz everyone was tired and didn't have to pitch in until the nice dinner the next day. Everyone still raves about how "nice/stressfree" that was. We all remained around the table for hours talking....no prep, no clean up.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:42 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,730,727 times
Olive Garden. It's a running tradition in our house now!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM

7,970 posts, read 7,308,355 times
I make an assortment of finger foods and dips for picking at all evening, like a "Christmas Tree" out of crescent rolls, baked, cooled, then spread with spinach dip and "decorated" with vegetable ornaments, like halved cherry tomatoes, pepper strips, olives, etc.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,680,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My Christmas Eve ( and Christmas Day ) is always very traditional.
It starts with decorating the live tree during the daylight hours. Then we dress up and start to set the table.
The table will be set with a white tablecloth' candles on the table are lit and main lights are reduced. One extra place setting will be made to remember absent family members or accommodate an unexpected guest.
We will light the tree and serve supper around 7 PM ( we fast until dinnertime ).
The dinner begins with a prayer and sharing of blessed Oplatek bread ( Christmas wafer ) - it is a moment of love and forgiveness, strengthening family bond and a gives a sense of belonging.
On Christmas Eve a 13-dish, meatless dinner is served before other festivities begin.
The traditional soup is borscht (beet soup) usually eaten with boiled eggs and sour cream, but for Christmas Eve, borscht gets a fancier treatment - small mushroom raviolis will replace eggs in this delicious soup.
Then different kinds of fish ( fried, baked, in aspic, with sour cream, pickled etc),
lots of veggie salads raw and cooked, and other meatless dishes will be served.
White wine and chilled vodka will accompany the feast.
A popular drink at Christmas Eve and during Christmas season in general, is cold compote that is made with apples, prunes, figs, pears, apricots, and grapes, though apples is by far the most popular choice of fruit. It goes great with the variety of traditional cakes and pastries like cheesecake, honey gingerbread cake, rum baba, poppyseed roll, and assorted cookies.
Fresh whole fruit and fruit salad will be also eaten.
After the dinner we enjoy the Christmas tree, share the gifts and listen to Carols.
Traditional Christmas celebration typically spans over three days and involves a sumptuous amount of food and eating (or more often overeating)
The last accent of Christmas Eve is a participation in Christmas midnight mass.
Are you Ukrainian? We do something very similar, though honestly I don't know if we really count out the full 12 courses (you mention 13, I've always heard 12, but whatever).

We start when the first star comes out, say a prayer, and dig into kutya (essentially wheat, honey, and poppyseed pudding). Then comes hot borscht with mushroom dumplings (oddly enough, Asian mushroom dumplings work great), bread, fish baked in tomato sauce, pickled fish, mushrooms, kasha holubtsi, potato and kapusta pyrohy, fruit compote, and then an assortment of cookies, nut rolls, poppyseed rolls, and cakes (poppyseed always making an appearance).

Another note: if you want some of the best french toast of your life for Christmas morning, soak the leftover nut rolls in egg, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla overnight. I did it on a whim 2 years ago and it was amazing with just a light dusting of sugar and fresh fruit.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,137,209 times
We usually go out to eat as a family to a place like Applebees or Olive Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink